Now with a PDR turbo... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Now with a PDR turbo...

Well, I had been having some issues with my TN smoking more than I wanted and a few other small complaints... I had posted about my issue and most of the responses I got were about rods and such... VERY good advice, but NOBODY came through with advice on how to make my TN complaints go away....

Dave at PDR called me up and we talked about their new turbo... After running a stock, a stock with a WW, a TN journal and a TN BB, I was more than just a little hesitant to jump into another drop in turbo... Never mind a turbo that was new and I had heard of only a few people running....

I did a lot of reading on H2Es and Modded H2Es and was set on going that way...

I chose to go with the PDR and try it out... Dave is really convincing over the phone

This turbo has been good in all ways but one for me... I will explain a little more...

I found my TN too smoky for me down low and up top... in the middle in was good, but I was never that happy with the hybrids and the TN.... The PDR turbo lights quickly... I'm making 5LBs boost by 1600 RPMs or so... it also makes from 5LBs to anywhere up to 35LBs by just pressing the go pedal a little harder... Its actually very impressive... Very little smoke for the size of injectors too...

The bad news for me was with 215cc injectors this turbo brought my EGTs up aprox 125*-150* over the TN BB, and the rate at which EGTs clime is much faster! With a .84 exhaust housing and hybrids I was not shocked by this...

I have talked this over with Dave, and him and I are going to try a 1.00 housing on it... This has not been tried yet, so him nor I know what exactly to expect... I picked a housing up from him today and I may even get a chance to install it tomorrow after work....

Assuming him and I can dial it into my setup I may have to forget about a H2E to be honest... if the 1.00 housing does not work I will probably slam a 1.15 housing on and try again...

I know all the time, effort and work that Dave and the guys at PDR put into this turbo, and Dave.... it was worth it!

I am also VERY impressed with Dave's customer service... He is one of the few places I have dealt with that actually phones you when they say they will... He also responds by computer very fast too...

Overall I am currently very happy......

Cheers
Bob

1995 Ford F350 XLT CC LB, 4X4, 12V Cummins, ZF5, D60, Sterling 10.5, 6637 air filter, 7.3L Intercooler, Autometer Cobalt Gauges. ZF6 swap soon to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:11 AM
Village Idiot

Re: Now with a PDR turbo...

go info keep up the research

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:13 AM
Cummins Power

IMO you will loose the instant response and see more smoke on bottom. The egt issue should get better and you may notice better top end. No turbo is perfect.

Kevin

12v CONVERSION IN PROGRESS, Special thanks to:
South Bend Clutch, MOTORSPORTSSUPPLY.COM, Pure Diesel Power & Performance, Carson Stauffer Diesel Service, Weston Shupe, zstroken

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:22 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Good post thanks for the info.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:22 AM
DI POWER

Get Garret BB and I garantte your'll see lower egt's.

01 250 sc xlt -" Forged Rods," Full Force 238/100s inj, Reg kit, Big fuel,DP F5 tunes, ATS BB turbo, ARP Headstuds, Com 910s, DI Pushrods, IDM mod, AFE Stage 2, TE2 HPOP R-IPR, BTS Trans, 6.0 intercooler, Fluidampr, HX, Cool max trans cooler, 4''exhaust & MORE.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southmike View Post
go info keep up the research
Thanks! I will keep everybody posted on what we do and how it works out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech2161 View Post
IMO you will loose the instant response and see more smoke on bottom. The egt issue should get better and you may notice better top end. No turbo is perfect.
I am a little worried this will be the case... I was thinking of jumping right to a 1.15, but I think I will try the 1.00... I hope its not the case, but I know exhaust housing size will affect spool up directly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Good post thanks for the info.

Tom
Thanks Tom... I will post more as we work on this :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joediesle View Post
Get Garret BB and I garantte your'll see lower egt's.
Thanks for the advice... I am currently happy with the PDR and am willing to work with this turbo...

1995 Ford F350 XLT CC LB, 4X4, 12V Cummins, ZF5, D60, Sterling 10.5, 6637 air filter, 7.3L Intercooler, Autometer Cobalt Gauges. ZF6 swap soon to come
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:01 AM
Banned

Quote:

This is true. There is nothing you can do about it. You either pick bottom end or top end.......or you run two of them, one for bottom and one for top

post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:01 AM
Proud PSN Sponsor

Good post Bob. I am curious how this ends up working out with a 1.0 housing. I have installed one of the PDR Super GTP's and it looks like a nice unit.

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Toll Free 866-379-8685
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydog View Post
Good post Bob. I am curious how this ends up working out with a 1.0 housing. I have installed one of the PDR Super GTP's and it looks like a nice unit.

Thanks!

How is your buddy liking his with stock injectors??

I am very interested in seeing how the 1.0 and this turbo respond too....

So far I would say it is a nice unit!!!!

post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99

so the 1.00 housing is not on it stock??? thats kinda weird to me.... how much to switch them, full housing price???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode