IDM Injector Pulse Width Control - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard

IDM Injector Pulse Width Control

The firing order on the PSD is 1-2-7-3-4-5-6-8, and all injectors are controlled by the PCM which drives the IDM to fire the injectors. At high RPM, the IDM has limited capacity to maintain the firing pulse width. Has anyone thought about or tried using 2 IDMs wired into the PCM, where IDM 1 would fire 1-7-4-6, and IDM 2 would fire 2-3-5-8, thereby extending the ability to supply a longer duration firing pulse width and recovery time to charge for the next pulse? If I have the IDM firing pulse concept wrong, someone please inform and enlighten me. TIA.

aka - Grumpy .. aka - Bubba Grump .. aka - Bubba .. aka - Grumpy Old F... . . A "slow" fatass 9K Dually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 03:06 PM
all ur OBS r belong to me

Send a message via MSN to OldschoolPSD
Re: IDM Injector Pulse Width Control

When I was on the phone with swamps the other day, they hinted towards a setup that was "Crude, but it works great" for fueling at high rpm's.

That sounds like a crude setup that just might work... I don't know if thats the exact gist of the setup, but at least i know that some of our vendors are trying to solve the pw issue so we can spin these things. They said $2500-3000 and I could have it in time for next pulling season. And fuel to any RPM. Personally, I can't wait for the day when I need an aftermarket tach

Ford stopped building trucks in 1997
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:22 PM

What about swamps pullin truck with the controller from england or wherever it is.

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 11:05 PM
you want some of this?

I have heard of someone running two, cant remember who, or where. It was my understanding that thats not the problem. I believe the issue was that the pcm can only fire one at the time. At lower rpm its fine because of the amount of time needed is low. But at higher rpm's the amount of time needed is too much , because it then has to start firing one injector while another is still fueling, and the stock stuff cant/ wont do that. SO, it cuts pulsewidth back enough to not have overlap. Someone please step in and explain better............
And PLEASE fix it!
lol. Me wants more rpm too!

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4

post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 04:25 AM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post
What about swamps pullin truck with the controller from england or wherever it is.
Which one is that ??

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 04:45 AM

Let me find a video of it.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 05:12 AM

Over 2800rpms iirc is when the computer starts cutting pulsewidth... there is no way around it using the factory computer setup that I know of.

The only way to get rpms out of them is to put injectors so damn big in them that they still inject a ton of fuel at very short pulsewidth. Then they fuel so much down low that they tear the bottom end up.

If someone comes out with something, and we can get full fuel at say 4500rpms... we can make these sons-a-bitches runs.

post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 05:32 PM
PSN Newb

Has anyone used stand alone engine management for a PSD. Something similar to this - http://www.motec.com/products/ecu/m800.htm

2000 F-350 Super Cab Short Bed 7.3 Diesel
Pyro, Trans, Boost Gauges, 6637 Filter, CCV Mod, Bosch 044 fuel pump, Custom fuel system, SS HPX, Van Turbo, Gearhead Tunes, 305-70-16 Firestone M/T's
AutoEnginuity.
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 06:02 PM

That seems to be the direction this stuff is headed. I've heard from a few of the big wigs that the factory PCM has to go. Simple idea, its the exacution that is difficult/costly.

post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 04:06 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post
Let me find a video of it.
Still waiting

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/14-7-3l-power-stroke-aftermarket-performance/1174-idm-injector-pulse-width-control.html
Posted By For Type Date
Injector Pulse Width Powerstroke_Yaelp Search This thread Refback 10-27-2015 04:17 AM