MBRP 4" install - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

MBRP 4" install

I bought a 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust for my truck the other day. I looked on their website and I am sure it said typical install time is 1-2 hours in your driveway. I called a few places and the shops are telling 3-4 hours and that most systems don't fit very well etc. Can anyone offer some first hand experience in what the real install time should be.

The hardest part to me should be getting the clamp off of the back of the turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 04:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: MBRP 4" install

Do it yourself. They are trying to rip you off. Im sure most systems people bring in are the cheap ones that dont fit very well though. This is NOT the case with MBRP. They will bolt right in.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Laces Out

the mbrp systems are fit VERY well. hangers line up, bends are perfect, do it yourself!!

08' F250 4x4 w/ 3:55's

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well that was my original plan but my truck is in Louisiana and I am in New York working and my vacation started yesterday. I am trying to get it installed so when I get home we can leave on our trip. I hate paying other people to work on my truck unless I have to.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 04:37 PM
<-- GO BRONCOS

I had a shop install mine because my friend works there (I didn't have a sawsall to cut the downpipe), and they said it was the easiest install they have ever had with an aftermarket exhaust. Nothing had to be cut and re-welded, everything fit perfectly. His boss was so impressed, that they signed up to be a MBRP distributer.

The hardest part will be cutting the downpipe, so do it yourself..... unless you have a friend at a muffler shop like me.

Anthony

2002 F-350 SRW 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab, Auto, MBRP 4" T409 Turbo back, AFE Stage 2, Isspro gauges (Pyro, Boost, Trans), BTS VB, DP F-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(No start, Modified Stock, 60T, 80E, 120race)

Democrats are tyrants.
Republicans are cowards.
Jesus Christ is our only hope!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Stimulated

The downpipe definitely sucks. The clamp at the turbo isn't bad, but lining up the new downpipe on the turbo can be a pain.

1995 Chevrolet C1500 6.5

1995 Z28 w/ 2.73's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:32 PM
PSN Veteran

I installed my Dad's in a little over an hour. They are real easy to do yourself!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Lightbulb Re: MBRP 4" install

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrpowr View Post
the mbrp systems are fit VERY well. hangers line up, bends are perfect, do it yourself!!
Wish I could say the same for my MBRP, wasn't really happy with mine especially because I paid the extra for the high grade stainless.

the straight section right out of the down pipe was rubbing on a cross member, I had all I could do to loosen every clamp and get about 1/8 clearance and then tighten every thing back up, messed with the down pipe to get this as well.

Also the most rear hanger by the shock was not bent correctly and the hanger wanted to fall out and still put the rubber hanger mount at an angle, the bend around the shock was to the point where it touched the rear shock ever so slightly, I ended up taking the rear section off and bending the hangers. It still settled so the pipe hits the shock ever so slightly.

Needless to say I messed with this for quite some time, tweaking here and there, tightening and loosening here and there, and I shouldn't have had to do that. And yes I ordered the right one for my truck.

Definitely not the first exhaust install I've done and I wasn't impressed, but I'm a little of a perfectionist, but aren't we all on here.

2003 F-350 4x4 SC 7.3, WOP QSSB Turbo, Isspro Gauges, MBRP 4 inch, AFE Stage II, , DP Tuned Stock, HI, 40t, 60t, 80t, 80e, 120R, 140ex, 6.0 Trans Cooler, 08 Tow Mirrors, 35in Kumho Mts

1993 International 4600 Dump, 7.3 IDI
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Sleep well my brothers

No problems with the install of mine or the wifes.

Early 99 CC DRW AFE, 4" MBRP,Autometer,6.0 trans cooler, ITP, DP Tuner and cupholder upgrade
Former U.S.A. Res. MP & proud of it!

2005 Dodge 4x4 5.9 With some stuff done to it.

"If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you're not a racistÖyou'll have to vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
PSN Veteran

I guess I'm special.

2003 F-350 4x4 SC 7.3, WOP QSSB Turbo, Isspro Gauges, MBRP 4 inch, AFE Stage II, , DP Tuned Stock, HI, 40t, 60t, 80t, 80e, 120R, 140ex, 6.0 Trans Cooler, 08 Tow Mirrors, 35in Kumho Mts

1993 International 4600 Dump, 7.3 IDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode