Do I Have High EGTs? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Do I Have High EGTs?

To me, my truck seems to run hotter than it should. I could be way off since I dont have a lot of experience with diesels, but Id rather find out now then later on down the road when it causes a problem.

Today I made a 50 mile trip. Most of the driving was 60-65 @ 1500-2000 RPM. Its a fairly warm day around 90* with the good 'ole GA humidity. My EGTs are constantly around 800+. I even got up to 1100* a few times while pulling up hills. Im sure it could have touched 1200* if I didn't let off. My truck is unloaded other than a small entertainment center in the back on the return trip.

Mods are in my sig. Also, it has banks IC tubes and boots. As far as I know its still stock and not a 6.0 unit. I usually run in the 120 tune since it has plenty of power, smoke, and shifts at good points for daily driving. I ran it in the 80 tune for a little while hoping it would clear up, but it didn't do much.

2001 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Sponsor

Re: Do I Have High EGTs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak12 View Post
To me, my truck seems to run hotter than it should. I could be way off since I dont have a lot of experience with diesels, but Id rather find out now then later on down the road when it causes a problem.

Today I made a 50 mile trip. Most of the driving was 60-65 @ 1500-2000 RPM. Its a fairly warm day around 90* with the good 'ole GA humidity. My EGTs are constantly around 800+. I even got up to 1100* a few times while pulling up hills. Im sure it could have touched 1200* if I didn't let off. My truck is unloaded other than a small entertainment center in the back on the return trip.

Mods are in my sig. Also, it has banks IC tubes and boots. As far as I know its still stock and not a 6.0 unit. I usually run in the 120 tune since it has plenty of power, smoke, and shifts at good points for daily driving. I ran it in the 80 tune for a little while hoping it would clear up, but it didn't do much.

Your egt's are rather cool.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 PM

check your up pipes or check your boots for leaks. up pipes are the most common factor in high EGTs. but they dont seem too bad. Was there a slight incline when you were reaching 800*?? on flat land i would think u should be running about 600-700*

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Sponsor

EGT numbers depend on many things but the first thing we would need to know is what location you have installed the sensor at. IF it's in the exhaust manifold the numbers are OK but if it's further downstream they are Hotter than normal. Check your peak boost as that will let you see if it's lower than normal and if so you need to figure out why.

TTSPOWERSYSTEMS.COM
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
PSN Veteran

Doesn't sound too bad. Do you still have the stock gears?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Stock 3.73 gears with the 37" Toyo's which are fairly heavy being a 10 ply.

Ive NEVER been able to get my boost over 25 lbs in any case. Ive only tripped the SES light 2 times and it has no overboost eliminator. Temperature sensor is in the manifold.

I was climbing a hill when I got over 1000*. I mean it wasn't a killer or anything, but it was definitely a hill. Anytime Im ever over 45 mph, it seems like Im sitting around 700* if not more.

Is there anyway to check for leaks in the boots other than visually looking?

2001 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 PM
HP Junky

I'm assuming your still running the stock turbo? If would think those numbers are just about right with the aftermarket injectors you're running.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I have a HTPS turbo. Its the same as the Ball Buster.

2001 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak12 View Post
I have a HTPS turbo. Its the same as the Ball Buster.
What kind of intake? Get rid of the Ball Buster, go BB all the way!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Im not sure on the brand, but its just a regular tube with a K&N on the end around where the stock set up was at. Also, Id love to pick up a 38R or better, but I dont feel like spending $2000 on a truck that costs $120 to fill up.

2001 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode