Oil change and upgrade - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Oil change and upgrade

My truck now has 237K on it, but I do not drive it as much since I commute on a motorcycle now. Its primary duty is as a tow rig and bad weather commuter(not too common in sunny SoCal ). I have been running Rotella in it since I got it and have done numerous blackstone reports all with great result. I have been running 5000 mile change intervals for 4 years now.

I always wanted to put in a bypass filter and syn oils, but never really had to time or money. I am planning on doing some PM on the truck in a few weeks and was thinking about this topic again. Now the thing is that even though the yearly mileage is less, its TOUGH work. My hauler is 15K lbs with a lot of wind resistance, and most trips down here are in hot weather. So what advantages would I be seeing if I went with a bypass and syn oil? What are the pros and cons of the different bypasses? What are the pros and cons of the different oils(Amsoil, Shaeffer, redline, etc.)? I can figure the cost aspect so I am more interested in what this would add to the truck as far as protection and performance. I am going to be replacing the stock injectors soon with singles, plus putting in a 6L CAC and bigger exhaust. I want to do what I can to make this engine last to 400K.

Thanks

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4
TN, AIS, DP 80hp, ITP boost elim, Magnaflow 4".
Tows the big white hauler.

When life gives you Lemons, throw them at the stupid people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:37 PM

Re: Oil change and upgrade

a bypass filter will keep the oil clean but it won't keep it from shearing down. That's the bigger problem in a PSD.

I'm not sure a bypass will extend drain intervals long enough to make it worth while.

thehammer69 would be a good person to ask. He's running an oilguard bypass unit and expirements with different oils.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thats been my concern. I have read a few references to the shearing but not enough info. If the syns can help with this I will start running a good syn, even at the cost since it will be a longer time between oil changes. I also worry about what sitting will do to the oils and engine. I have heard in the past the marketing claims of better coverage during starting. If the truck sits for 2 weeks or more between driving it is there any advantage to putting in a syn oil, or maybe an additive?

Thanks

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post
a bypass filter will keep the oil clean but it won't keep it from shearing down. That's the bigger problem in a PSD.

I'm not sure a bypass will extend drain intervals long enough to make it worth while.

thehammer69 would be a good person to ask. He's running an oilguard bypass unit and expirements with different oils.
I used to run Mobil Delvac 1 and Mobil 1 filters with Oilguard bypass. I have been able to extend my drain interval/filter change to 15K miles with no reduction in viscosity and with plenty of additive still left. Shearing is a BIG problem with the 6 leaker and is not a problem with 7.3 generally. However, with dual HPOP, I have heard reports that shearing becomes more of an issue. For that reason (and others) I switched oil to Schaeffer's 9000 5W40. Schaeffer's 9000 is the only oil I am aware of that did not shear significantly in the 6.0L PSD. We will see how it holds up with my dual HPOP 7.3L PSD.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Interesting, what about the 6L makes it shear more than the 7.3L?

Either way if Shaeffers is better than I'll look into it. I am hoping to find something I like and buy in bulk. Hopefully can find something that has oils that I can run in the Jeep, Truck and my motorcyle(of course not the same exact oil but something in the companies line) so I can try and get a builk discount with mix and match products from the same company. I used to trust the local shell shop for oil changes but the lied to my wife the last time she was in there so, no more. I just gotta find somewhere that will take used oil, in like 5-10 gallon quantities for recycling. Maybe even larger.

Is it just me or is the number of companies and people you can trust getting smaller and smaller?

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haul_n_horses2 View Post
I used to run Mobil Delvac 1 and Mobil 1 filters with Oilguard bypass. I have been able to extend my drain interval/filter change to 15K miles with no reduction in viscosity and with plenty of additive still left. Shearing is a BIG problem with the 6 leaker and is not a problem with 7.3 generally. However, with dual HPOP, I have heard reports that shearing becomes more of an issue. For that reason (and others) I switched oil to Schaeffer's 9000 5W40. Schaeffer's 9000 is the only oil I am aware of that did not shear significantly in the 6.0L PSD. We will see how it holds up with my dual HPOP 7.3L PSD.
Hammer has told me that his Schaffer's 5-40 shears down to a 30wt in less than 3000 miles
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post
Hammer has told me that his Schaffer's 5-40 shears down to a 30wt in less than 3000 miles
That's news to me. He is the biggest Schaeffers cheerleader around, .
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Non Helpful Member

I have been running 15w40 7000 series schaeffers all of my truck life and all my equipment run it I have don't oil samples on bolth of my 7.3 with big oil and both do not shear. it's great oil some of my equipment run at 2500rpm for 24hror more and allways right over the gov and some have over 12khr on them never been open up

2 fords that make no power
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

How pricey is Shaeffers, and where do I get it?

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetonka View Post
How pricey is Shaeffers, and where do I get it?
You can get Schaeffers from their network. Purchase $400 at once in case quantities and the shipping is free, IIRC. Ryan Bean carries it or check out the dealer network http://www.schaefferoil.com/dealer_locator.html Schaeffer's 9000 is about $21 a gallon. Mobil Delvac 1 is $32 a gallon by comparison. Rotella synthetic has excellent performance in stock 7.3 PSD and is cheapest of all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode