Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Need some towing upgrades! (turbo... intercooler...)

19K views 179 replies 31 participants last post by  TrailerHauler 
#1 ·
Well I went down to missouri thursday, and friday on one of my trips to bring back trailers. So far this is probably the biggest load I've had yet. I had 9 trailers and weighed in at 25k, I used the 20Tow setting the whole way. Pretty heavy, but I had BAD surge the whole trip, and some pretty high egts.

Should I deal with it, and be expecting it, or can I get a few more thousand pounds behind me with some upgrades?

First thing that comes to mind is a turbo housing for the surge, any other ideas? and and ideas for getting the egt's down?

#5 ·
H2E or TN BB and a better intercooler

Water injection for the big hills. Set it to come on at 1150-1200
U swinging to the left these days?? LOL

#3 ·
go with the spearco 6.0 retro cooler worked great for my truck i haul a 45 ft fifth wheel weighs 17k.you wil need to get rid of that surge it will also make your exhaust temps climb.

#6 ·
turbo and intercooler, that will start me out slowly and I'm sure that will make quite a big difference.

It just felt like I my truck couldn't haul anymore than that!! It really pissed me off, how much better off do you guys think I'll be with some upgrades? I know these engines can handle more weight, how do these commercial application trucks do it without all these mods?

#8 ·
When they rate highway trucks they rate their power level for one that can be sustained for a long time.........

Ours are peak power...............

But ya, get a turbo, IC and call it a day..............

I know PDR is bringing out a turbo in the 1100$ range that was tested at around 450HP...........Beat on, abused and driven to chit.........

You could also throw in a mild set of squirters

#73 ·
I tow 22.5k fairly often with my setup. Egt's always stay in check in my tow tune. I almost can get away with my DD tune if I just keep a better eye on the Egt's

Give David Lott a call he will set you up with a great towing setup.

#13 ·
why?? so he can make less power? :poke: He wanted to be able to tow more not less

#20 ·
:blah:

Another moron says get a better turbo (TN BB or GTP38R) and maybe you could try a 6 leaker IC before dropping the coin on a Spearco/DIIC.

I wouldn't wast the coin on an exhaust housing. Yes it will help with surge but it probably won't provide much if any more pulling power.

#21 ·
Guys, let's not let this derail.

I'm not being a nazi but we can't have every serious discussion thrown off topic by these comments.

My thoughts are that the banks powerpack could actually do a respectable job. Yes it's overpriced, yes i don't like Gale because he says the psd is dead, and yes there is better performing stuff for much less money, but the powerpack would get the truck down the road without melting it down.

Let's do the OP a favor and keep this headed in the right direction. Ed's opinion is almost worth as much as anyone else's around here.

#22 ·
Well for that issue then just upgrade to a Van Turbo. Non wastegated & with a 1.15 housing it won't surge. People say towing it isn't much diffrent but it will keep the air moving & won't surge. :D

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just get a drop in turbo............Whatever fits your budget, a 6.0L IC and you will be good to go.......

#26 ·
this is where I want to start, Banks can blow me so that's out the window!

What kind of housing/turbo should I be looking for and give a price range. I haven't learned much about the turbos yet cause I didn't want to get into brand wars

#27 ·
if you wont SOME more power but still keep the EGT's low.... DONT get bigger sticks! or if you want to I wouldnt go anymore than AC's.... with the loads you tow it would burn up without a huge turbo if you had stage 3's....

of course, yes, you could detune them but what would be the sense in putting them in if you have to detune to tow big loads....

#55 ·
:whs: he has a point im looking at the h2e route just so that later when i get it modified and add b codes the the turbo will work great. but yes it is alittle more pricy but if you think about it it will work for you now and later on if you decide to go a different direction..;)

#40 ·
I have pulled some big loads with my SD, I also have big oil and a garrett bb turbo.

The big oil system made my truck into a low end puller big time, you just can't understand till you have drove one. I did ask Jody for tip in on the 140 program that I pull in. I have pulled over 30k lbs with this truck and it pulls so nice. It is like when you hit a little hill with your truck, you feel the truck bogging down. Now with oil it will just pull right on through that little hill. When on a grade and someone cuts you off you can recover faster.

For me a TE oil system, a good bb turbo and some good tunes, you will have a pulling sob on your hands. I would even bet with injectors your not going to pull a hill any faster, you can only go so fast with heavy weight.

On my SD I have a little over 100k on the terminator pulling loads most of it's life. On my 97 I'm right at 45k with the system also pulling heavy loads. It's a great upgrade for some one that wants a better tow rig

#48 ·
No it's not But neither is a chip a stock truck will do it just slower. I have pulled a trailer all over the us and stock it was ok pull good then I went to a chip wow what a diference the I did big oil then my stock moded turbo went out then a bb turbo. Nothing is necessary just how much you want to spend or want to play with your truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.