Uppipe leak at manifold. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Uppipe leak at manifold.

I can't get these connections to stop leaking. Both sides. Can the uppipe be re-formed at an exhaust shop or somewhere to get them to seal up? They are coated and otherwise in good shape.

I guess a thin coat of ultra copper would do it also.

03 E-350 7.3, forged rods, exhaust ported heads, comp 910's, 38R/47, 4.10LS, stealth twin pumps, 300cc hybrids from Swamps, h-11's, racerx trans and TC, Swamps tunes, water...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 12:22 PM
PSN nerd

Re: Uppipe leak at manifold.

do you still have the original style uppipes in there? I finally got mine to stop leaking then when the pipes expanded from the heat they pushed the exhaust manifolds off the heads at the back cylinders.

I finally took mine out cut them up put bellows and flanges on them and they have been leak free since. I got the parts from verociousmotorsports to do it.

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 PM
PSN nerd

duhh I read that wrong, mine always leaked at the collector not the manifolds. Like you said some copper coat may do it, hmm I gotta think about that

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 PM
PSN Veteran

Have you removed the up pipes lately. If so you could have some corrosion on the flange of the up pipe or on the seat of the mainfold that is preventing solid contact.

You should remove the up pipe and inspect the flange and manifold seat and polish them with some fine sand paper if necessary.

On edit, I saw where you mentioned coating. I wonder if the coating is causing a problem. I would sand it back to bare metal on the up pipe flange and manifold seat. Should fix the problem unless the up pipe flange is bent.

01 f250 scsb Work Truck
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverkickn View Post
Have you removed the up pipes lately. If so you could have some corrosion on the flange of the up pipe or on the seat of the mainfold that is preventing solid contact.

You should remove the up pipe and inspect the flange and manifold seat and polish them with some fine sand paper if necessary.

On edit, I saw where you mentioned coating. I wonder if the coating is causing a problem. I would sand it back to bare metal on the up pipe flange and manifold seat. Should fix the problem unless the up pipe flange is bent.
Hmmm.....yep both the manifold and uppipes are coated. I guess that could be the problem.

03 E-350 7.3, forged rods, exhaust ported heads, comp 910's, 38R/47, 4.10LS, stealth twin pumps, 300cc hybrids from Swamps, h-11's, racerx trans and TC, Swamps tunes, water...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 PM
PSN Veteran

If your up-pipes got skinny where the donuts seal due to wear you can have them reformed at an exhaust shop. They can re-expand them to better fit the donut seals.. If that is what you meant in your OP.

2002 X PSD, Billy Boat 4", AirRaid, 38R,HO Outlet, IH Up-pipes, Gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Water Temp, Oil PSI at Turbo Pedestal

DP-Tuner 6 pos No Start - 140
Super Heavy Duty 4R100 / triple disc from ATO
Transmissions in Sacramento
ICON 5" Spring Pack Lift
PSC Ram Assist Steering

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 PM
The Oracle

Send a message via AIM to BigRed97

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDiesel View Post
If your up-pipes got skinny where the donuts seal due to wear you can have them reformed at an exhaust shop. They can re-expand them to better fit the donut seals.. If that is what you meant in your OP.

no hes talking about the ball/socket joint at the manifold...

and yes a good exhaust shop can reshape the sockets

but i would try sanding them first and then apply a small layer of exhaust putty(sh#t works wonders, yellow tube from napa)

CCLB with some stuff done .....

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Freak'n know it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed97 View Post
no hes talking about the ball/socket joint at the manifold...

and yes a good exhaust shop can reshape the sockets

but i would try sanding them first and then apply a small layer of exhaust putty(sh#t works wonders, yellow tube from napa)
maybe but stick with the putty..... it stinks less

99.5 350 crewcab dually 4x4
stage 1 singles, PHP tunes, banks bighead,
autometer gauges,
, South Bend HD clutch, Gen 2 wicked wheel, AIS intake system.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 03:41 AM
The Oracle

Send a message via AIM to BigRed97

CCLB with some stuff done .....

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Yup it's me!

Make sure you tighten the clamps at this end first. If you tighten the upper ones first it my not be letting the lower ones seat properly. Also coat it all well with some nickle anti-sieze so that it is lubricated and can move around to the point where it seats properly as you're tightening the bolts down. It my just be twisted slightly from the upper portions being tightened already.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, long box 4X4, 4" lift, 35" tires
Injectors,GTS Motorsports
Crower rods, H11 Head studs, Cam,DIGen II HPOP, chip-Swamp's Diesel
Chip Live Tuned from PHP
TransBTS
Ceramic Coating from Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA
Sponsred by Nitrous Outlet[email protected] in 1/4 mi!
466hp #2 only 806hp N≤O

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode