How to make your own cylinder blow-by testing tool - Page 2 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: How to make your own cylinder blow-by testing tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZStang View Post
I had a PM request for more pictures of this, so I thought I'd add them here.

This shows the back of the magnehelic gauge and what to do with all the different holes.

Shawn
so the top of the pipe should have a hole in it?

2002 F-250

Kw w900B with a smaller stack than most pick ups
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi7615 View Post
look the word dodge up in any dictionary. it means "to avoid."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryrylan View Post
so the top of the pipe should have a hole in it?
Correct, .40" diameter for the 7.3.

Shawn

96 Roll-A-Long F-350 4x4 Crew: 135,000 miles, built E4OD, 1.0 exhaust housing, 3"x4" down pipe, 4" exhaust, Navistar water pump, SKY RSK with SD springs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:14 AM
PSN Veteran

Any one have one they would loan out, I pay shipping cost??

2000 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4x4 c/c 6speed, 278k on truck and 207k on 96 engine all cylinders blew 400 psi, melling lpop, comp springs shimmed, smith brother push rods, 238/100% Hybrids by Rosewood, 38r/ww2, Strictly Diesel Reg Return, Strictly Diesel post and pre fuel filters, AFE - Straight Piped, Hydra with PHP tunes, Srp 1.1, !

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 04:11 AM
PSN Veteran

anyway to take pics on how this tool is set up to use on the truck...

2000 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4x4 c/c 6speed, 278k on truck and 207k on 96 engine all cylinders blew 400 psi, melling lpop, comp springs shimmed, smith brother push rods, 238/100% Hybrids by Rosewood, 38r/ww2, Strictly Diesel Reg Return, Strictly Diesel post and pre fuel filters, AFE - Straight Piped, Hydra with PHP tunes, Srp 1.1, !
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju015dd View Post
anyway to take pics on how this tool is set up to use on the truck...
I lost my camera on vacation, but it's pretty straight forward. Assemble the tool as shown below. Remove oil fill cap from engine valve cover and install tool in its place. Connect small hose between the tool and the gauge. Plug the CCV hose on the opposite valve cover and test.

Shawn

96 Roll-A-Long F-350 4x4 Crew: 135,000 miles, built E4OD, 1.0 exhaust housing, 3"x4" down pipe, 4" exhaust, Navistar water pump, SKY RSK with SD springs.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 AM
PSN Newb

Anyone else checked blow-by with one of these or had a dealer perform this test? Would like to see some other results.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I had a PM request to update this post since webshots died and took the pictures with it. I redid my original post again with the pictures below.

Here is a relatively cheap way I found to build your own Ford blow-by measurement tool. It is basically just an open pipe that connects to the oil fill hole in the valve cover. On the top end of the tool is a .40" diameter hole and on the side is a fitting to connect a hose that goes to the pressure gauge.

The cost of the Ford stand pipe and adapter that connects it to the engine is over $100. I couldn't justify that so, I built my own out of an old Ford oil fill cap and some PVC pipe. The first step was to take apart the oil fill cap and drill out the bottom part that screws into the valve cover. This hole needs to be larger than .40". I found that 1 1/4" PVC pipe fits nicely into an existing groove in the oil fill cap. After cutting the pipe to ±6.0" in length, I drilled and tapped an 1/8" pipe thread hole into the side of the pipe. I then installed an 1/8" pipe to hose barb fitting that will connect to the pressure gauge hose. Once that was done, I cleaned the cap really well and glued the piece of pipe into the groove in the cap using super glue. The last piece is the cap for the pipe with the required .40" hole drilled in it. I found the magnehelic gauge on eBay for under $20. There was a pretty wide selection with quite a few available when I bought mine. Another option would be to build your own u-tube manometer. Manometer

If you go the magnehelic gauge route, it will have four 1/8" female pipe thread ports in it. Two for high pressure and two for low pressure. One of each will be on the side of the gauge and the other set is on the back. You want to plug one of the high and one of the low pressure ports. Then connect the hose fitting to the remaining high pressure port while leaving the remaining low pressure port open to atmosphere. You can connect to either the side or back high pressure port - whichever works better for your setup.

To test blow-by, ensure engine is fully warmed up and plug or pinch off the CCV. Hold engine at near WOT in park and take the blow-by reading. Results will be in inches of water column. Less than 4" of H2O is a pass for the 7.3.

I didn't glue the cap onto the pipe of mine as I wanted to also use this setup to measure how much restriction my CCV mod was causing. I can do this by installing a cap with no hole in it onto the pipe and then run the pressure hose into the cab to monitor crankcase pressure while driving (with the CCV open). Another reason to not glue the cap on is that I think the 6.0 requires a smaller orifice than the .40" used on the 7.3. Having two caps, one for each engine, would allow the tool to easily be used on both engines. Also, the pressures we are talking about here are so small that I don't think there is any danger of the caps ever blowing off. It takes 27" of H2O to reach 1 psig.

Shawn

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 11:40 PM
PSN Veteran

I finally got around to making one of these for my rig. very easy to do and use. At idle I had 1 psi and then at 3k rpm it measured 2 psi. Both of these reading were done on a warm up to temp engine. Thanks

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 01:04 AM
PSN Newb

Works great! Found two boost leaks today!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode