Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Mobile forest fire!

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  symbols 
#1 ·
Ok guys need some ideas. So my truck has been pouring white smoke out the exhaust at idle and while driving. It steadily goes away till I get black smoke under hard acceleration. So I did a contribution test and found that #5 was out of range. I then pulled the glow plugs out and did compression test and all were between 350-400 except for #8 and it was 310.

I've seen varying minimum ratings for combustion pressures from 300-360 PSI. My problem is that most of my readings were 350 and my truck starts instantly without even letting the glow plugs light so I am finding it very hard to believe that 360 PSI is a minimum. Right now I am leaning to injectors but I'm curious if anyone has any other ideas before I start throwing money at it.

Also, for those that don't already know I've been experimenting with running WMO/ATF for a few months now. When I pulled the glow plugs there was very little carbon buildup on them and from what I can tell so far there is no damage related to running the oils.

#3 ·
Ok, yea that's a good idea. I think I'll look at that closely but since it has 210k miles on it I think it's probably time for injectors anyhow

#5 ·
I'm having the same issue.

just started smoking last week. i can hear a faint miss at idle and see the engine shake differently, feel the difference, not much for a loss of power, but the smoke changes from stock tune, to 140 agressive. higher the tune the more the smoke.

what im 95% sure of, the split shot injector.. well it's leaking the pre/post injection but still making enough pressure to fire the main which doesn't give it a dead hole or able to pick up on cylinder performance testing.

#7 ·
165K.

but as of currently... my problem just went away. :poke: nock on wood.

only diffrence was, this morning i had AE hooked up and ran it WTFO to work datalogging ICP, fuel injection timing, etc... and it smoked black... in stock tune.

then leaving work i had it in 80E and it smoked like a SOB leaving getting into traffic, and i KNOW i didnt get on it hard, like 140 wouldnt of even made that much smoke. get home.... it wasnt smoking........ drove 20 miles watching ae... doing tests, etc. still not... a

#9 ·
pull the injectors have have the tested... probably find something funky going on with one or more of them, local shop up here guy said he would test all mine at 10 bucks a piece. thats just pop pressure and leakage, not flowing

#10 ·
Ok, pulled injectors. Here is the only pic I took. They all looked exactly the same as this.

#11 ·
how are you running your wmo/atf? second tank or just adding it to the diesel tank? looks to me like it's way more carboned up than you think.

#12 ·
I premix the oil/diesel then fill my tank. You think that's a lot of carbon buildup?

#13 ·
Just talked to Matt at Beans. They tested my injectors before rebuilding them and said they were pretty bad even for having 200k miles on them. Anyhow they are shipping them today and so hopefully I'll have them before the weekend.

I told him about my setup and what I run and he said it's possible that running the WMO sped up the process but who really knows. Now that I have a clean slate and a starting point I think the real experiment will begin.

#14 ·
I'm sure you'll be very happy with your overhauled injectors. Just a thought: Since you've got all the injectors pulled and you've got 200+ thousand on the clock maybe do the injector cups? That way, you're good to go for another 200,000.
Best,
Jim

#17 ·
Talk to Beans, they may have it. If not, Swamps Diesel will lend you the tool if you buy the cups from them. I think Rosewood sells a nice tool too.
Best,
Jim

#20 ·
Got the tool and it broke after a few minutes LOL. All that was wrong was the set screw was screwed in to the point that the weakest part of it was the shear point so I just sheared the head of the set screw right off. Got it fixed after tracking down a new set screw. Jim is supposed to take care of it on future tools but if you have an older one or just bought one you might want to check that. Then I think one of the injector cups was damaged during manufacturing so Jim is sending another one of those. I guess I'll have my truck back on the road next year LOL

#21 ·
:doh:

So often, its not as easy as we think its gonna be. However, the piece of mind that the job is done right makes it worth it.
Best,
Jim

#22 ·
Very true...

Truck is fixed! It was smoking like a freight train for about 30 minutes while I was letting it warm up and checking coolant levels so I decided to give it some gas while I had both drivers doors open. I completely forgot it had rained several times since my truck broke down and the way it was parked it couldn't drain so low and behold when I gave it some throttle the stacks showered me, the drivers side interior, and everything around me with with black gold :mad: So after a few test drives I blew it all out and now it's running great.

Thanks Beans for the injectors and Jim at Rosewood for the injector cups and removal/install tools!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.