2002 F350 Super Duty 7.3L Power Stroke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
2002 7.3 Newby

2002 F350 Super Duty 7.3L Power Stroke

Guys I have checked everything with this truck, I have not checked the injectors or Glow Plugs with a buzz test as I do not have a computer to do so and it has been to cold out to work on it with no heated garage here in Central Wisconsin. I have changed the Fuel Filter, the CPS, ICP, checked HPOP, everything checks out good even fuses and relays. I am going to hopefully get the IPR changed this week if the weather holds and stays a bit warmer than 20 degrees. But I am also leaning towards a weak fuel pump or the IDM or even PCM but those are big bucks just like injectors and I cannot afford that right now. It starts and runs great when I shoot starting fluid into it other wise nothing, just cranks over and tries to start like a flooded gasoline motor, I have checked my fuel also and it is not gasoline either. Any ideas would be a great help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 01:39 AM
PSN Newb

Check the glow plug relay. Should have 12 volt at the big terminal with single wiring and with the key on the other big terminal should be around 10 volts when glow plugs are all working. Also you should here the relay click when you turn the key on. Relay should stay closed, power to both big terminals for 1 minute or so depending on outside temp. You will hear another click when it opens. You can also use ohm meter to check glow plugs where the plug goes into the UVCH.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 01:52 AM
PSN Local

Re: 2002 F350 Super Duty 7.3L Power Stroke

So when you used ether it started and stayed running? If so it sure sounds like the glow plug system is not working. Like Widowson says you should hear it click, you should also notice the cab light dim when they click on. If it doesn't dim then they are probably not coming on. The glow plug relay is a common failure. Have you tried plugging it in to a wall outlet? Best to do some diagnostics, throwing parts at a Powerstroke gets expensive real quick.

One thing you do NOT want to do if the glow plugs ARE working is use ether. If that stuff lights off at the wrong time you can break stuff like pistons etc.

2002 F 350 4x4 CREW 164K, Isspro boost, tranny, pyro, FP, Hpo, coolant filter, Dieselsite tranny filter, AIS intake, ITP pre pump mod, 6.0 tranny cooler, AE & Torque Pro.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 04:42 AM
PSN Newb

I assume you already replaced the fuel filter? Have you traced the fuel lines to make sure there isn't a pre filter before the fuel pump that is clogged? Check the fuel pump by opening the fuel bowl/filter drain and then rolling the key forward (not crank) to activate the pump. Put a 5 gal bucket or similar under the tube to catch the fuel. It should come out pretty strong. I'll see if I still have a video of mine and post it. Lastly, if fuel flow is low or non-existent, the pump could be good still but you might have a plugged or broken pickup tube in the fuel tank. You can hook a fuel can to the inlet side of the pump to draw fuel from there to test run the engine.

Sent from my SM-J510MN using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:14 AM
PSN Newb

Garage

The glow plug relay is such an easy fix it's silly to try anything else until you've done that. I know this because i tried a bunch of things before finally getting the Stancor relay (in spite of being told on here that I should do it). The relay is what fixed it. Don't be a stubborn fool like me -- take the good advice on the forum! My truck now starts well below freezing without being plugged in, where before it wouldn't start below 40. That was with a **brand new** OEM-type GPR. Evidently the original GPRs were just plain superior to the replacements that are now available. If you buy a new GPR that looks like the OE one, it will be crap. Save yourself the trouble and go for the Stancor upgrade. I got it from Guzzle's site (dieselorings.com) and followed the directions on there. It was quick and easy and fixed me right up!

Jerud
1999.5 F-250 longbed supercab
237k miles, second owner
Stock (and happy) but with HPX
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
2002 7.3 Newby

Thanks Guys I will look into the Glow plug relay and let you know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode