Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Rocker arm not moving very far

3K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Leifshannon50 
#1 ·
Hi guys I'm new here. Also new to the diesel world. I have a 00 super duty 7.3 that lost number 5 injector. I went to replace it and found a bent pushrod on the right side valve. I replaced the pushrod and fired the truck up with the valve cover off and the side I replaced was working fine but the left side was barely moving. Maybe just enough to crack the valve open. Not sure if it's a bad lifter or what. Any advice would help. Thank you.

#2 ·
Let it sit for a couple hours and see if the litter is spongy. When you push down on that rod, it should be firm and basically not move at all. Or take the rocker out of the way and see if the rod moves up as much as the other rods. If it does, the lifter is shot. If not, it's a wiped cam lobe.

#5 ·
You can fish the lifter out and leave the head on, but you have to remove the sheetmetal intake plenum. That's sealed on with the special grey goo.

#8 ·
Thanks for the help fellas. I've got a new question now. My #5 injector quit working, so I went to a friend of mines salvage yard and got 8 injectors off another 7.3l. I have tried 3 of them and none of them will fire. I also swapped the valve cover and harness off the other truck thinking it may be the problem but still no luck getting it to fire.

#11 ·
Sure, it could anyway. The driver for cyl 5 is probably cooked. Just a guess. As long as the cam signal to the pcm is good and the signal to the idm is good, then the only other thing it could be is a driver. Assuming the harness you used was good also.

You could use a meter to check for voltage leaving the idm. It's a higher voltage than usual, but it won't hurt the meter. It's not high enough to hurt it. Scopes are king, but a meter will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.