Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Oil cooler leaking!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  7.3Powerstroke&426Allis 
#1 ·
Been mighty cold these last few days and on cold morning starts my oil cooler has began to leak and then stops after it warms up, need to get it fixed before "winter" does finally settle in, I reckon my first question is will it be ok to drive it for a couple of days? Any risk of coolant and oil mixing? And as far as the repair goes does any one have any advice or tips on doing this repair? I seen the video that diesel tech Ron has where he just removes the rear header and leaves the front in and seems to easily get it back together, almost to easy If you ask me lol, is this a good way to do it? The gasket on the front is not leaking, just the o ring, got all new Ford parts waiting.

#4 ·
Got it tore down last Friday and put back together, wasn't to difficult, but no way was Ron's way going to work, after have a rather interesting time trying to get the rear header back on and eventually having to use a press I went ahead and removed the front header and pressed it back on and installed it as a single unit, used lots of lucus assembly lube in both headers and on O-rings, everything seems fine as far as the oil and coolant neither are contaminating each other, the only issue I see is that the front header has just a drop of oil on it when I look at it daily, and it appears to be the assembly lube that I used, got a green tent to it, definitely not coolant because I use red ELC, and it's real think and sticky, doesn't appear to be making it's way down to the ground, as I have parked it on pavement and never see a spot, any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.