Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Power steering pump question 2002 F250

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Lt.Dan 
#1 ·
I was removing the power steering pump on my 2002 F250 with the 7.3 diesel when I noticed some leakage around the reservoir and when I took a closer look, I realized that the reservoir isn't connected to the pump with any fasteners or clamps. I guess it's held on by the rubber seal around the pump. Mine was crooked and I was able to pull it off the pump with little to no effort. I was looking at new pumps online and noticed that you can buy them with or without the reservoir. Does the reservoir really just slip onto the pump? What holds it on? I may be a poor ignorant country boy but one would think that it was a problem waiting to happen, especially in a pressurized system. Could/would someone tell me if I'm missing something and please explain to me how this works? I guess, since I can take the reservoir on and off the pump easily and at will, that I need a new something, but what?

#2 ·
A large O-ring seals the pump to the reservoir, and the return line fitting is what holds the reservoir onto the pump body. No screws or anything. So when you pulled the pump off, I'm assuming you removed the fitting, which made it rather easy to remove the reservoir.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.