2001 F-250 7.3 Intermittent Miss - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2001 F-250 7.3 Intermittent Miss

Ok I have the 2001 F-250 4X4 Super Duty Off Road with the 7.3 Diesel, with 240,000 miles. It has been a great truck and I am the original owner. About a year ago I had an issue where after starting and after about lets say 5 minutes the truck would just die. I could put it in neutral or park and restart, then be fine. Most of the time it would happen when idling or slowing down at alight. after doing some research I installed a new cps (Camshaft) sensor and a ICP sensor witch was stiil OEM, That solved the problem it has never recurred.The bad part is I replaced both at the same time and really don't know which one was the culprit.I'm thinking it was the ICP since I had replaced CPS sensor before. It would not start at all until I replaced it, and then it was good.
I give all this info because my current problem is that it seems to be running a little rough and when I reach 65+ MPH ever so often it will miss out like once then again but after that be OK. I had a Mechanic ride with me with his tablet connected, all injectors were good/strong as was everything else. I had him replace the wiring loom under the valve cover thinking a wire might be broke but it did not correct the issue. I have reviewed several You tubes and they all seem to focus on the ICP sensor. since I bought the replacement at advance for about eighty dollars and read somewhere that someone said "don't go cheap", i'm thinking maybe I did. I have not pulled the connection looking for oil or anything else.
I am frustrated and thinking about going to a dealer but know that is really gonna hurt. Does anyone have any idea as tho what could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 07:01 PM
PSN Newb

If you have the ability to look at ipr load and ICP voltage I would recommend doing that and logging your numbers first. Also pull the plug on the ICP with truck shut off to check for oil. Do you get a CEL when it runs rough at those speeds? Does it sometimes do it at idle? If it does it at idle, I would pull the ICP with engine running to see if it wants to stall out and then quickly come out of it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 2001 F-250 7.3 Intermittent Miss

Do not get any check engine lights and while it seems a little rough no bad and after it misses a time or two at highway speeds, seems that once it's its out of it's system thats it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:27 PM
PSN Newb

How about fuel and filters? How many miles on the oil change? If you shut over drive off will it still do it? I am assuming that in OD is when it is starting to act up at highway speeds.

01 F450 7.3 Utility Body
180cc 30% injectors
38R turbo
TS Chip
K and N intake
6" stacks

Lifted 04 6.0
Intake/exhaust
Stock motor
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Change fuel filters regularly oil every 4000 mi with shell rotella. about 900 mi. ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode