A Lot of Little Things - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

A Lot of Little Things

Hello, PowerstrokeNation...it's been a while since I've been on the forum and thought I would throw out a thread to generate some discussion that may help me and others with similar issues. With that being said, let's get started.

Background: I have a 2001 Ford F-250 with 328K miles on it. Just about everything is original with the exception of the PSP and PSG. I changed those out last year. It still has the same turbo, injectors, glow plugs, sensors, etc... No mods of any significance have been done to the truck. I did modify the fuel tank using the harpoon and hutch method, as well as the sending unit because the foot broke off causing my truck to run out of fuel at or around a 1/4 tank. I also modified the fuel filter housing eliminating the intake spring to eliminate resistance along with increasing the size of the holes in the banjo fittings in the fuel rails. Those mods were done last year with little to no change in performance, except I'm no longer running out of fuel unexpectedly. All in all, the truck is a beast that just keeps chugging along.

Problems: over the years, the following problems have been fairly consistent and never really caused any issues other than when they happen, it drives me crazy.
1. As mentioned earlier, I modified the fuel sending unit by removing the in-line filters and installing new lines that reach down into the tank. This is a fairly common problem with older PSDs and this MOD is done often. No issues with running out of fuel since the mod. However, at intermittent times the fuel gauge will literally go from half a tank to full, while driving. Eventually, it comes back down to the actual fuel level. Interestingly enough, my OH console readings start going bonkers when this happens, as well. The temperature will all of sudden read way lower than it actually is. Again, when the fuel gauge returns to normal so does the OH console readings. The only consistency I've found with this issue is that it always happens somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 full reading on the fuel gauge. I've read other forums regarding this issue and grounding always comes up, but I'm no electrician and I don't really know what that means or how to determine if that is the case.

2. When in reverse, the engine seems to bog down. It's never died on me, but it just seems to come under duress. Also, I've noticed that if I crank the engine and immediately put it in reverse to back out of the driveway it doesn't want to go. Now, if I let it warm up, it does fine but still feels under duress, especially if I'm towing.

3. As I mentioned in the Background section above, I modified the fuel filter housing and the banjo fittings in the fuel rails and I did this for a reason. The truck has always felt under powered, but only at times, which is the part that drives me crazy. Now, I understand that the 7.3s were not built for speed, but it comes and goes. Sometimes, the truck seems to run just fine and then sometimes it feels like something is holding it back. I've tested the fuel pressure on both sides of the fuel filter housing and everything is good there and yes, the pressure was still good at WOT. I've researched this a lot and the EBPV comes up often. How do I confirm that it is the EBPV? If it's not the EBPV, what else could it be?

4. Lastly, the truck seems to surge at times, but not all the time. When it happens, it either surges when shifting or during deceleration. Nothing crazy, but you can certainly hear it.

Okay...sorry for posting a multiple problem thread, but none of these issues are keeping me up at night, but I would like to at least figure out how to diagnose/pinpoint the exact issue. Thanks to all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:53 PM
PSN Local

Re: A Lot of Little Things

Your reverse issue sounds transmission-related. Is the fluid level good? When was the last time it was serviced? Could be an issue with the valve body - when I still had a 7.3, one of the upgrades I always wanted to do was install a John Woods valve body. Also, with 328k on the clock, it wouldn't be that unusual for the trans to be ready for a rebuild.

2004 F350 CCLB 4x4 Dually - EGR Delete, Coolant Filter, 5" Exhaust, Evolution tuner/monitor, Leveling kit & 33's
1960 F250 4x4 - 400/C6
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the reply, ByrdDog! Yeah...I know it's going to happen at some point, but it's odd to me that the transmission works fine other than Reverse.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:22 PM

I was thinking a trans problem too. Possible even related to the surging. But it could also just be what is called turbo fart. Is the surging new or has it always been there.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Sbluke55, it's always been there, but off and on. Never been a consistent issue. I've actually read about the turbo fart and doesn't that mean that the turbo is starting to show signs of age?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:10 PM
alleged moderator

when my 02 did that, the trans was 1 quart low. put a quart of atf in and the surge and torque converter locking in reverse went away.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Good to know, tjctransport. I'll take a look see and add another quart, if necessary.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 12:27 PM

So turbo fart is the extra air you have in the inner cooler and piping rushing back out the turbo when you let off the gas. It's normal, doesn't mean its wearing out. To minimize it, just don't let off the gas real quick. Slowly back off and it will minimize it. If it's real bad it can cause issues and wear it out.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode