Driveline - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Driveline

Hello everyone I am new here. I normally do not head to google for help, but I am struggling with finding a part. I have a 2000 F-350 standard cab 4x4 Superduty with a 7.3 engine. The problem I am having is it needs a new drive line due to the slip yoke play s banging pretty loud. The local drive line shop said it was $600 for new one to be made. I know there's a cheaper option if I can find one, like EBAY lol. SO back to the issue everything I have found online is for a 5 speed tranny, my truck has a 6 speed and I cannot find a listing for a 6 speed. The shortest rear drive line was roughly 50 inches compressed and that was a dorman measured center of slip yoke u-joint to the furthest one away, well from my yoke on the rear end to the t-case flange is 50.5. So I can't even find anything short enough to fit. I guess 6 speed single cab Lariats are rare for this year according to the stealership. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:52 AM
Project Shamu

Re: Driveline

If it's just the slip yoke you need to get a new driveline shop. $600 is more than enough to buy a brand new, complete, custom made driveshaft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:00 AM
PSN Veteran

What he said.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but look up a parts house called Inland Truck Parts. They have been treating me good on driveline stuff lately. Hopefully there is a location with driveline capabilities near you.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:09 AM
PSN Veteran

Yeah what they said , way too expensive. What part of the country are you in ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the response guys I will just have to find a new shop from the sounds of it. I did not do any calling around when I got quoted. Ya sadly everything here is expensive as I live pretty close to Seattle. I am concerned that if the slip yoke is so shot what about the double u-joint thing at the top of the drive line? Do they wear out as well? If so I might as well just replace all of it since hunting season is coming up.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:39 AM
alleged moderator

5 years ago i paid $300 for a complete driveshaft for my 02 direct from ford.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:51 PM

I just got my driveshaft from the shop and it was $370 for 3 u joints and retube the rear section. It was $180 in labor to install all the new u joints, weld in a new section and straighten the other.

It might be cheaper to find a good drive shaft thats too long and have the driveline shop shorten it. I would have them replace all the u joints while they are in there.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I found a place called Drive Lines Northwest today, the gentleman on the phone said they could just repair what was broke. Tomorrow I am gonna drop it off and have them just go through it, he told me around $400 or so. Your $370 sounds about right I will let you guys know how it goes. $300 from the stealership? Wow they laughed at me when I inquired about it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So I got a call from the shop today and the gentleman informed me that indeed the slip yoke is bad, there is no way the drive line is causing the knocking/ banging I have. So he told me to start looking into the T-case/ transmission for bad bearings. At this point I should let you guys know what my exact problem is since you guys are very knowledgeable. 1st gear there is no noise regardless of how hard I get on it or coast, second gear towards the end it starts knocking about 20 mph, 3rd gear sounds like the truck is ready to grenade itself. The knocking is so loud and violent it sounds like someone with a framing hammer beating the crap out of the floor board beneath my feet, and a jack hammer under my seat worth of shaking. If I am accelerating or coasting it does not really change much. If I step on the clutch it goes away and coasts smooth in any gear at any speed. If I let the clutch out say to slow down it comes right back. Up hill, down hill, with my 10k trailer loaded there is no difference its the same. It always goes away if I step on the clutch.

So I pulled out the front drive line and drove it with no change. I put the front drive line back in and pulled the rear one out, I then drive the truck in 4-high and the sound is gone. This is why I thought it was the drive line. I know harmonics can do crazy things but I swear it's coming from under my feet or close to it. I am going to pull the rear diff cover tonight for a look see.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:27 PM
PSN Veteran

You can always do grease samples.

Check rear diff fluid for metal, front diff, drain an oz or so from the trans, and t case, see which one of any has metal or debris in it.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode