Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

99 7.3 F250 stalling problem

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Bigbullcalli 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I bought the truck about a week ago, went to go look at it and it started up great and ran great no hiccups or anything. Two days later, the day I bought it, it had very low fuel, (on Empty), well I drove it approximately 5 miles to the closest fuel station and filled it to 1/4 just to get home. Ran great on the way home. Truck sits for a day in my driveway and when i go to fire it up it idles good for about a minute or two then stalls as if the key was tuned off. Go to crank it back up and it starts fine then stalls again. I continued starting it and letting it idle a couple more times until the idles got choppy and started surging. Still has the same 1/4 of fuel in it.

I tried to get as much data from the truck as I could while it was running, ICP was about 500-800 cranking and 400-700 at idle, duty cycle was around 14-27%.

I replaced Cam Shaft Position sensor with a gray one from the auto store. Made no difference. I unplugged ICP sensor (it has oil in it so probably bad) and the ICP ratings were higher, about 1000 cranking and 800-1000 at idle. But it still stalled after about 1 minute.
When the engine stalls the only lights on the dash are a "service engine soon" light and the "engine oil/coolant temp light" that one is usually always on, not sure why.

My next course of action is going to be replacing the fuel filter and seeing if the pump is filling the bowl, and if there are any bubbles.
I only included the part about the low fuel because I am concerned that I may have picked up air in the system, or perhaps the fuel pickup in the tank got clogged. I know there will be a code stored since the SES light came on, but the code reader I have#(the same one that works for my 04 6.0) won't pick up any codes from the system on the truck.

Where should I go next, I would really appreciate some input and guidance. Thanks!
___________________________________________________________________________________
Early 1999 F250 7.3 PSD 150,000 miles. Straight Pipe. Air intake.

See less See more
#2 ·
UPDATE!!

I charged both batteries, added 5 gallons of fuel and started the truck up. Started up strong but I had to push the accelerator to keep it going until it eventually died after about 2 minutes. BUT, I was finally able to pull codes from it!
Codes pulled: P0113, P0603, P0705, P0755, P1280
So I know some of those are transmission codes but how could any of these cause the truck to stall.
(The icp is currently unplugged, FYI)
I looked at a lot of wiring trying to find some exposed wires but came up short. I did find some fraying on the wires for the 42 pin connector that rest on the driver side valve cover but it wasn't too bad and I taped them back up.

Any ideas what's going on?

#3 ·
Might as well start from the beginning. Lower the gas tank and clean the two filters. The tank lining flakes off on the inside of the tank and plugs those filters, assuming you got a metal tank. Even with plastic tanks garbage builds up. "You'd be surprised" YouTube has video's on how to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.