Troubleshooting power loss - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Question Troubleshooting power loss

The truck drives fine unless I'm towing a hill, or maybe have a headwind on a flat. As I give it more throttle, it starts making a ticking sound, like a leaf stuck in the A/C vent and fluttering -- except in the engine compartment. The ticking gets louder as the truck loses steam, then begins to shudder. Not violently, but you can feel/hear it. RPMs get up around 2500 but rarely higher, but speed is still around 40 so the truck won't downshift to 1st. It's just not making the power needed. It doesn't die; it just pulls like my old IDI did.

Using AutoEnginuity I did the WOT test up a long straight hill; injection pressure spiked to 3000, held briefly at 2800, then faded to ~2600 and stayed there. IPR duty cycle is low teens at idle, ramps gradually to around 40%, and when the "ticking" noise starts it climbs more, sometimes hitting the 70s while the truck is shuddering. I happened to log RPMs too, and when the shuddering starts, RPMs are doing a rapid oscillation of about +/- 50 RPM. Too fast for the dash tach to register it.

I don't have a boost gauge but AutoEnginuity showed 26psi for the MAP sensor during the WOT test above -- minus about 12 psi atmospheric (I'm at 5k feet) means ~14psi boost, right? Is that low enough to cause this issue? When I monitor the Wastegate position with AE it pretty much always shows 99.11%. I only see it briefly flare open once in a while as I come over the top of a hill. I've also noticed black soot on the tailpipe. I didn't think to monitor EBP during the WOT test but I'm wondering if that could be the problem?

This was happening before I put in fresh injectors (stock remans from FullForce Diesel), but was much worse -- I was expecting the new injectors to solve it completely but it seems there's something else going on. The only code showing is P1211 "injector pressure higher/lower than desired". I have a pretty new ICP sensor, but have not touched the IPR yet. Fuel pressure from the tank stays steady at 60psi at all times. New fuel, oil, and air filters. New boots on the intercooler pipes and from the spider to the plenum. UVCH is new. No chips, tuners, or mods. The turbo is not original; P.O. evidently put in a Garrett P38, so I'm hesitant to say the turbo itself is the problem since it can't be all that old.

I'd be very grateful for suggestions or ideas, other tests I should try, etc. Thank you all!

Jerud
1999.5 F-250 longbed supercab
237k miles, second owner
Bone stock (and happy) except for HPX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:18 AM
PSN intsigator

Re: Troubleshooting power loss

If your IPR percentage is hitting in the 70's , it's time to look at an IPR and/or a HPOP. I would do an IPR first and also replace the IPR pigtail. I would also only replace these with motorcraft parts.

Have you tested the HPO system to verify thete ate no leaks in it.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Thanks, heavydoc. A new IPR is better than a new HPOP...but are the IPR rebuild kits not worth it? RockAuto has the Motorcraft kit for $30 whereas a whole new Motorcraft IPR is $160. Big difference...!

A little harder to find the Motorcraft pigtail...is that critical that it's genuine Ford? It looks like there are two styles of connector, one with a wire bail like the injectors have, the other with plastic tabs on the side. I need to look in the truck and see which I've got and then maybe call a dealership.

Jerud
237k miles, second owner

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:38 PM
PSN intsigator

Should be the same style as the injectors. Don't waste your time with the rebuild kit.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

OK thanks, I take that advice seriously coming from you.

I'll save the HPOP leak test for after swapping the IPR; I don't have any drips under the truck (yay!) aside from the oil dipstick nut. Being on the road, I'd have to go and buy the fittings and gauge to do the test and then end up lugging it around with me everywhere (like the compression tester I bought last year, and the ESOF hub seal tool, now that's a boat anchor!).

Jerud
237k miles, second owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode