Power steering groan after washing engine bay - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Power steering groan after washing engine bay

Hey guys, new member here. So today I decided to wash the engine bay on my 02 f.250. I simply used degreaser and a garden hose. I covered the alternator and air filter with bags so they wouldn’t get wet. After I finished I took the truck for a drive to evaporate any water that had not dried up yet and noticed when I turned the wheel there was a noticeable moan which sounded like the power steering pump. After doing further research on this problem I see I probably should have covered this while I washed it. The pump is not low on fluid, but I guess my question is would I have gotten enough water in it when I washed it to cause this? Do I just need to flush the fluid or? Thanks in advance. Btw the truck is an 02 f.250 cc lb with the 7.3 PowerStroke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 02:14 AM
Project Shamu

Re: Power steering groan after washing engine bay

I've pressured washed my engine bay many a times, the only thing I do every time down is disconnect and REMOVE the batteries (I had a pair of batteries short out because of the water, even with both disconnected), and I remove the air filter and cover the intake inlet with duct tape. Then I let it dry on it's own for about an hour (about how long it takes me to wash the rest of the truck and clean out/vacuum the interior) before hooking it back up and taking it for a drive.

As far as the power steering, I think its unrelated and a coincidence. I bet the power steering pump gets blasted with water the whole time while it's raining or you drive through a puddle. I wonder if you flushed it with new fluid and refilled, if it would go away. Or if theres been damage to a bearing or something and needs to be replaced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:17 AM
alleged moderator

my bet is the belt got wet with degreaser and needs to dry off, or be changed. you should change the belt every year or so anyway, because they deteriorate with age, and the last thing you want is a belt shredding while driving and doing other damage.

been there and had to do that too.
cost me an AC compressor and alternator when the belt shredded and ripped the wiring out of both destroying them.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Master BS'er

I'd bet it's the belt too. In fact it would almost have to be.

I wash at least one engine bay every day, five days a week. Sometimes multiple a day, With a Hotsy, not a little garden hose. I'm talking a real deal pressure washer. It's not going to hurt anything. The covering stuff with bags is unnecessary. Just leave it running, blast where it needs blasted and drive it. Often the belt will squeal when done, that's pretty normal. Little rocks get in the ribs of the belt too sometimes. There's a trick to get em out if that's what it is.

Definitely avoid the air filter, that's a good idea. The rest is not necessary.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:47 PM
don't play well w others

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
my bet is the belt got wet with degreaser and needs to dry off, or be changed. you should change the belt every year or so anyway, because they deteriorate with age, and the last thing you want is a belt shredding while driving and doing other damage.

been there and had to do that too.
cost me an AC compressor and alternator when the belt shredded and ripped the wiring out of both destroying them.
LIAR

You told everyone it was a cat under the hood.

Everyone here knows you don't wash ANYTHING. Especially not your shorts.

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:53 PM
alleged moderator

the cat was under the hood of the 2014. and it took out the fan, shroud, and passenger side engine wiring and vacuum line harness.
the belt shredded on the 02 diesel .

tom

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 06:02 PM
don't play well w others

Oh.

I'll have to get you another cat then...Ö.

:)

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 07:24 PM
alleged moderator

i have two old cats in the bed......

oh wait, you are talking about the furry kind, huh?

tom

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks guys, it turned out to be the power steering fluid. I flushed it and the sound went away. The fluid that came out had a lot of water in it so evidently I did manage to get some in there.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:21 PM
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrought5 View Post
Thanks guys, it turned out to be the power steering fluid. I flushed it and the sound went away. The fluid that came out had a lot of water in it so evidently I did manage to get some in there.
I would buy a new cap then if water did get in there. Your cap is probably not sealing very well.
james2488 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode