Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Early 99 EGTs

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  680 Puller 
#1 ·
Just got me an early 99 about a year ago. My first diesel. I’ve installed a 4” straight pipe, 6637 wix air filter, pmt1 pcm and a hydra with jelibuilt tunes. Only towed once before the mods and it did pretty well up the 4 lanes heading to shaver lake towing my Jeep. Before I hauled again I got a set of gauges and couldn’t believe how hot I got the EGTs unloaded at WOT. 1300 at about 85mph and it would keep climbing if I didn’t let off. No up pipe leaks, no boost leaks, building about 25lbs of boost. I’ve been doing some research and looks like I’m going to need to get a bigger turbo to get these EGTs to come down. I’ve even tried hydra tunes and they get up to 1300 also. Any other ideas guys? I have a feeling when I go wheeling this weekend I’m gonna have to put it back in stock mode to get up the 4 lane. Please help.

#2 ·
Any tune other than stock is going to build high EGTs, plain and simple. Hell I've passed 1300*s in my OBS BEFORE I installed my Hydra. Just turn the chip down to a somewhat moderate tune. I'm guessing Brian gave you a tow tune, just use it and make sure EGTs aren't over 1250* for a long period of time.

I've been up that 4 lane to shaver about a month ago, towing my toy hauler, it's a b*tch! So I feel ya.

#5 ·
Put an "01 turbo on my "e99 with a WW2 and all the intake plumbing just to get the bellowed up pipes. With the stock injectors 1100* @ 30# is the highest I have seen. Also 4" straight exhaust and AFE fresh air. Runs much better also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.