2000 E-450 ambulance Hello - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2000 E-450 ambulance Hello

i got this ambulance with 130K its a great rig. i changed the oil air filters and fuel filter. After i changed the fuel filter it now idles high. when i step on the break the idle goes to normal. With my foot of the break the idle goes up in about 30 seconds. This only started after replacing the fuel filter. Ive searched all over for the cause and cannot find it. SOS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Native Texan

Garage
Re: 2000 E-450 ambulance Hello

check the ebrake ambulances have a fast idle tied to the ebrake.

I was born into Gobernment health care. And will die in Gobernment Health care. God Bless Our Military Men And Women.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Native Texan

Garage

I have been working on ford ambulances for the last 11 and a half years. Including the wonderful 6oh e series.

I was born into Gobernment health care. And will die in Gobernment Health care. God Bless Our Military Men And Women.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:55 PM
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by masakimm View Post
I have been working on ford ambulances for the last 11 and a half years. Including the wonderful 6oh e series.

Poor guy lol
masakimm likes this.

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:

Thankfully the department I work for doesn’t buy the E series diesels. F series only. Rescues are all I work on, all ford diesels.

As stated the parking brake is tied into a high idle function on a rescue. The truck may also have an automatic high idle function to warm the engine until it reaches a certain temperature.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:35 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
Thankfully the department I work for doesnít buy the E series diesels. F series only. Rescues are all I work on, all ford diesels.

As stated the parking brake is tied into a high idle function on a rescue. The truck may also have an automatic high idle function to warm the engine until it reaches a certain temperature.
all ours are f series now. i have 8 6.7l 450s now

Upgrades:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:39 PM
PSN Veteran

We have 6 6.7s (2 350 drw, 1 450 and 3 550s). Also have 1 international 4300 with maxxforce DT, plus 4 6.0 reserve trucks and 1 6.4 reserve. I’m soley responsible for all them 😐

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thx for the info Idis have the ebrake on.

What’s wrong with the e-series I kinda like it?
I don’t work on them all day so I don’t have a lot of experience.

Quote:
check the ebrake ambulances have a fast idle tied to the ebrake.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 PM
Service before Self

Is the brake light on on the dash? These guys are right. The high idle system is tied into the e-brake depending on manufacturer. Problem is if something is wrong with the brake system it will also trigger the high idle... and if the dash light is burned out you won’t be able to to tell. Also sometimes the spring goes bad and even though you think the e brake is off it’s still on a little bit... and finally there is nothing wrong with the e-series. Mechanics just hate working on them because everything is a PITA to get to, I own 4 of them in my service and love them... best trucks on the road. Fk a 6.0, 6.4 or a 6.7...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Service before Self

Oh and one more thing. IF you just can’t figure out the above (brake stuck on, fluid level low, whatever is causing the dash brake light circuit to illuminate) you can find the high idle / PTO box and just disconnect it. It’s black, has 4 square and one round button that says ford on it and a digital display that shows engine RPM, etc. it is usually either mounted near the emergency light switch panel or down in the center console or under the driver or passenger seat post. Find the gray connector on the side of it and just unplug it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode