Summer Front End Extravaganza, Track Bar, X-codes, etc... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question Summer Front End Extravaganza, Track Bar, X-codes, etc...

Hi All,

It's been forever since I've been on here, but here I am.

My wife is a teacher, so in the summer I get to park the truck in the garage and go to town as we don't have to both have a vehicle. I started this project focusing mainly on Brakes, Ball joints, Axle seals, and steering box. But while removing the old steering dampener to replace it, I noticed something I never had before: crappy welds on the track bar mount.

Let me preface this by saying, i'm not a suspension guru, like I know many of you are. Anyway, now I'm considering doing a whole bunch of suspension work to get it right....er closer to right? So bare with me as I explain what I already know then I'll get to questions and pics. And yes I spent a good amount of time using the forum search function and that was very helpful.

Currently the truck rides like a tank and bump steers a little bit, (which I attribute to the track bar being moved up. is that correct? It has about 2-3" of lift based on ride height and to me it looks like my springs are saggy. On a positive, alignment has always been good, and I've never had death wobble.

My overall goal is get the rig riding smoothly and safely, but would like to keep ride height as close to current if possible.

SEE PICS HERE: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rtpW5pu59Vo91vwd7

1. To me it looks like what the previous owner had going was an insert to raise the lower track bar mount up while also reinforcing (with terrible welds/gussets) the mount itself. Agree?

2. It also looks like this has screwed up the track bar angle likely causing my bump steer? Correct?

3. Springs look saggy and looks like there's too many of them, this is obviously causing my terribly stiff suspension. Agreed? Any other problems you see?

So basically at the end of the day, I'm looking for validation with my plan or suggestions on what to do differently.

My plan, is to get x-code leaf springs, new shocks, and an adjustable track bar. In my mind, that's going to get the track bar angle corrected, and smooth ride restored.

4. Thoughts on this plan?

5.Do I need to redo the ugly track bar mount? no welder or plasma here and it has held for the three years I've had the truck, in fact I've never even had weird tire wear with this truck. Is there even enough adjustment in an adjustable track bar to correct for the angle without causing other issues?

6. Comparing my current front spring setup, how much will my front end drop with X-codes? Is that a problem? can I somehow compensate for that? Do I need a different shock mount or something? Will my ride actually improve with x-codes?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long winded-ness.

Current Rig: 99.5 ECSB White, 38R, Terminator, old DP tunes, no idea what sticks, other basic mods.

Past rigs: 95 eclb ghetto puller, 2002 eclb lamsauce truck, 97CCSB mint OBS supermodel (miss that one).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Summer Front End Extravaganza, Track Bar, X-codes, etc...

Ok, I'm assuming my gigantic post freaked people out.

So I've narrowed it down to this.

What has a smoother ride on a 3/4 ton? Pro Comp 22210 or X codes? I know the 22210 is 2.5" of lift, how much does that compare to the X codes? Do the X Code lift more or less?

Or let me phrase it this way:
If you wanted about 2-3" over stock, would you go with X-codes and Bilsteins? or Procomp 22210 with ES9000? and Why?

Current Rig: 99.5 ECSB White, 38R, Terminator, old DP tunes, no idea what sticks, other basic mods.

Past rigs: 95 eclb ghetto puller, 2002 eclb lamsauce truck, 97CCSB mint OBS supermodel (miss that one).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:47 AM

Ok so what’s the budget? The procomps would have a worse ride and the ranchos are a better shock. If you can swing it a custom set from atlas spring would be the best. If you don’t want that much lift you can just run superduty springs and get about 1”-2” lift. Google modded b codes and I would run u codes up front. Remove the stupid track bar added bracket and run a zone adjustable track bar. Then go to the junk yard and get a rear sway bar from a superduty.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks Sbluke.

Budget for all front end suspension components (shocks, springs, track bar, uolts, and track bar bracket) is $600-$700, could be more if spaced out over time. I'm definitely willing to pay to improve ride and steering quality.

Thanks,

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:35 PM

So the ranchos are $400
But on a stock height truck monroe shocks will be great. $140.
U bolts should be $130
New bushings for your track bar https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.7128 $30
Then hit up the junk yards and get some front u codes and back b codes from a f250-f350. If they have a rear sway bar get it too along with all the hardware. $200-300.
Your track bar bracket needs welded and the brace and extra piece needs cut off. So $100 to have someone do it.

01 f-250, Standard
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks Sbluke. I really appreciate the help. It's guys like you on a forum that keep the DIY 7.3 world turning. It means alot.

Couple clarifications first, not because I disagree, just because I want to be sure I understand before I move forward on buying parts.

1. If I cut out the gusset on the ghetto-fab track bar mount, and remove that inner sleeve thing, can't I just put the new adjustable track bar back in the original mounting location, or will there be weakness concerns?
1a. I guess basically what I'm asking is: You're telling me I need to source a whole new lower track bar mount to have a shop weld back into position after the whole crappy one is removed, right?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:42 PM

Cut the gusset and junk riser out and move the track bar down into the OEM location. The only reason I said go to a welder is this pic, you can see there is still a crack. And it's under cut in places.

There is no need to run an adjustable track bar on a stock height truck. That's why I linked the new bushings.

01 f-250, Standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode