Cooler install - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cooler install

I'm installing a 6.0 cooler on my 97 obs this weekend. Do I splice the 3/8
Lines where the cooler is still routing through the bottom of radiator or do I do away with that go from cooler to transmission only? Also it seams this or style aftermarket is bi directional so I assume it doesn't matter which line goes where. Drivers side to back of trans or vice versa. Some help would be appreciated tired of looking at u tube. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:44 PM
Caption This

Re: Cooler install

If I was doing the install, I would leave the line from the transmission to the radiator as it is.

I would connect the radiator outlet line to an oil thermostat so it would route the fluid back to the transmission without going thru the 6.0 cooler or thru the 6.0 cooler and then back to the transmission based on fluid temperature.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the reply. That let me a little more confused. Vintage but don't have my thermostat yet. I'm the guy with the he 97 that puked when hauling hay then got a flash again while hauling nothing. Trying to see if cooler is going to help. At a stand still now cause I don't know where I should splice lines. I think mark says to keep the radiator lines. The damn thing does fine on short drives shifts great.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:14 AM
PSN Local

When u do the 6.0 cooler u just take the stock cooler off and add the 6.0 its really straight forward
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:14 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
If I was doing the install, I would leave the line from the transmission to the radiator as it is.

I would connect the radiator outlet line to an oil thermostat so it would route the fluid back to the transmission without going thru the 6.0 cooler or thru the 6.0 cooler and then back to the transmission based on fluid temperature.
Do not listen to this nonsense they have no clue what there talking about .
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:16 AM
PSN Local

U should add a gauge to see what temps are doing . But from my experience a rebuild is in the near future. And the flashing over drive means it set a code read it also .
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the reply. The code was for trans slip. I do want to install a temp gauge but I'm not sure where it should go in the trans to get an accurate reading. Mark K had a post on here that said where that I had read before but I can't find it again.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:44 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Cooler install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooko18 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The code was for trans slip.
You are installing a cooler to fix a slip code? All that will do is contaminate the new cooler with debris from your failing torque converter. It won't fix the slip code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooko18 View Post
I do want to install a temp gauge but I'm not sure where it should go in the trans to get an accurate reading. Mark K had a post on here that said where that I had read before but I can't find it again.
The temp gauge should be installed in the test port on the side of the transmission.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you for the reply Mark. I was afraid that might be the case. I had a mechanic here tell me it may help. The first flash was pulling a heavy load and I didn't reset it just quit the second flash was empty truck after two hours drive up steep incline. They pulled code and reset. I've been driving local and it's been shifting great so I thought maybe just a heat issue. Is it the stress of climbing the mountain (I'm in blue ridge mnts) what would have tripped it. And I believe you wrote before that it's impossible to flush the cooler clean of debris, what about where the line goes through the radiator? Thanks again Mark.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you for getting involved Mark. I stopped the installation and left my old cooler. Did your flow test and only got a pint in 15 seconds. Didnt see any trash but the fluid was dark reddish purple. Can someone tell me if the radiator have to be replaced? Or can it be cleaned or bypassed without damaging a new trans. Gonna be hard enough to pay for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode