Idle lope, shakes, and rpm drop - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Idle lope, shakes, and rpm drop

So I got my problem child put back together, ‘97 7.3 with the e4od. I now have 2 new problems and one that never ended up getting fixed. I pulled the blown up tranny that I bought the truck with and put my new-to-me tranny in, but I reused the existing torque converter. It wouldn’t unlock and would drag my rpms down and stall the engine when I would come to a stop. It also ended up cracking and warping my flex plate (probably due to incorrect installation by myself). So I bought a new flex plate and torque converter, TC is built by a local shop that is known for performance rigs. I don’t remember the exact stall for it but it was only slightly under stock, nothing crazy. I also had my tranny torn apart out of curiosity and it was in great condition besides some slightly burned clutches which were replaced.

Problem #1: RPM drop
My rpm drop to low 400’s after I accelerate and let off the throttle, it is no where near as bad as it was with the old TC but it still drops a lot and has stalled once from it. Is that because of my lower stall on the TC? My icp pressure falls to the 500’s and my ipr falls to 7-8%. I have a brand new international ICP.

Problem #2: the shakes
I have ruled out drive lines as I had the front and rear completely rebuilt and new u-joints, no movement if I crawl under the truck and try to shake them. The shake starts in 4th gear and continues into overdrive. When I accelerate through 4th it shakes a lot, I don’t feel it in the steering wheel so I don’t believe my wheels are out of balance. Once I get to about 2k rpm in 4th the shake disappears and starts back up when I shift into OD but it is more violent. Once I reach a cruising speed and let off the accelerator the shake goes away. This never happened before I put the new TC in, I feel the TC lock up in 3rd gear and it doesn’t start shaking until it shifts into 4th so hopefully that rules out the torque converter. I had both the tc and tranny installed by a shop that knows what they are doing, I was there watching as they tore down the tranny.

And the last problem: the idle lope
This is also a new problem I’ve had since I got the truck back from the shop. When I start the truck up cold or hot it has a nasty lope that will continue until I bring the rpm up to 1k or so for a couple seconds, after that the lope disappears. I’m lost with this one, I have no clue what this could be.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode