7.3 swapped obs dually - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

7.3 swapped obs dually

As I am new I do not know exactly where this should have been posted, but letís continue. Everywhere I have read about someone swapping a 7.3 pstroke in a OBS everyone has said ďnot worth the time.Ē Or ďits a waste.Ē Or even ďif itís not blown the donít swap it.Ē (Mine was blown) Well I know that there are people out there that want to still do it like myself. And well thatís what I am working on and will keep posting updates. I came by a rust free 1990 f350 dually 2wd auto trans in Ohio. It had a 7.3 idi completely blown up. Scoring on the cylinder walls like Iíve never seen heads were cracked beyond repair. So I pulled the motor. Knowing I was going to swap it. Pulling was quite easy with my front loader. Lol. I separated the trans from the motor and left the trans in the truck. I have the 7.3 power stroke motor and just know you have to get the whole engine bay harness, fuse box, idm, pcm, and throttle peddle assembly. I got very lucky with all of these things and picked them all up from a guy for $400! Right now I have the old 7.3 ID#### in the trash can and the new 7.3 pstroke in the garage getting all new gaskets. My theory here is that I will bolt the 7.3 idi flywheel and torque converter up to the powerstroke and bolt the powerstroke to my e40d (electronic) and wire the e40d straight into the powerstroke pcm. Again this is my theory. I have a full pinout of the e40d and powerstroke pcm that I just googled and is going to be very helpful in the future. (Hopefully)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 7.3 swapped obs dually

Last night I was able to pick up a 7.3 powerstroke wiring harness, throttle peddle, cluster, pcm, and idm all for $400. I now have everything together to have this motor run which is amazing. Now itís just wiring it all in/ installing everything. I will hopefully be using the original idi motor mounts if I do not have to fab up my own. Hopefully I will have the motor set in bolted up to the transmission this weekend then I will be able to start the wiring process. Everything that is not needed on the pcm I will point out so anyone that does this swap will know what they can and cannot cut off. (Unless most of you know) and if anyone has done this before and or knows a lot more about a swap like this all input is much appreciated. I would like to get as much information about this as I can. Main concern right now for some reason is the E40D holding up.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:56 PM
Ford Man

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Wood's Powerstroke

Hello and welcome to the Nation. I say cool deal on the swap. Glad you stayed with the Powerstroke instead of say a Fummins swap which seems to be gaining popularity these days. Good pics BTW. Please keep us posted on the progress. Welcome.

Wood's 7.3
Old School Strokin'
2001 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
Lariat, 4X4 Off-Road, Crew-Cab, SB, AT

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood's Powerstroke View Post
Hello and welcome to the Nation. I say cool deal on the swap. Glad you stayed with the Powerstroke instead of say a Fummins swap which seems to be gaining popularity these days. Good pics BTW. Please keep us posted on the progress. Welcome.

Thank you, I plan on taking a lot more detailed pictures and giving a very detailed breakdown of everything I am doing so others can see exactly how itís done.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Time for an update. Turns out the electronics from the e40d are not compatible with the SD computer unfortunately. So scratch the whole idea of keeping it with an e40d. Lol. We will be using a standard 4r100 2wd trans. Going to pick one up here shortly for roughly $400 and that includes the torque converter as well. So I have everything to make a SD run on a stand (not gonna start it on a stand) and once I get the trans I can start bolting it to the motor and then drop it in and start the wiring. Also keep in mind that now that I am going with the 4r100 trans I will no longer have a speedo. So Iíve decided that I will do a OBS to SD cluster swap. I will be creating my own little dash piece for it to rest inside of and then I can start plugging away. As for the old vacuum pump brake booster yea take that out and light it with a torch mounting a oracles for your vacuum pump on a SD engine is pointless. Go get yourself a SD brake booster for $75 (thatís what I did) and then run that off the SD power steering pump. I will update all of you when the engine and trans are in. (Peep the picture of the full uncut wiring harness that I scooped up for $400 pre pulled) also came with the pcm, idm, throttle peddle, cluster, fuse box)

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Subbed'

Here is a possible option for cluster:

https://www.gofundme.com/obs-digital-dashboard
the_frosty_dually likes this.

1996 F350 XL Crew Cab LB 4x4 3:55
Former Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB Truck
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Riff Raff Diesel Turbo & Y Boot Kit
Riff Raff Diesel HPX
Mile Marker 449SS Manual Hubs

1987 F250 XLT Lariat LB 2WD 4:10
6.9/7.3 IDI Swap-SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 John Deere 5055D

1974 Deutz 5506
2950 hours-"The Tank"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:03 PM

So you can cut down a obs 7.3 harness to work and it might work with your current trans and you can use it with the stock cluster. The superduty harness needs to have the cluster so you might have to make it fit your dash.

My vote is to find an obs harness.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbluke55 View Post
So you can cut down a obs 7.3 harness to work and it might work with your current trans and you can use it with the stock cluster. The superduty harness needs to have the cluster so you might have to make it fit your dash.

My vote is to find an obs harness.

But how would any of this work if I have a super duty engine,trans? I would need a super duty wiring harness. I cannot use the idi wiring harness, if your talking about in the cab all of that wiring was left alone I have that. That cluster is an amazing idea but I believe the powerstroke pcm reads at different ohms for the gauges compared to an OBS. What needs the happen is the super duty engine and trans need to be dropped in. Cluster needs to be mounted along with the throttle peddle (because Throttle peddle reads ohms and is electronic where the obs is cable) then I need to plug in the powerstroke engine bay harness into the powerstroke plug in my cluster, plug in my throttle peddle. And plug in everything that needs to be there. My only thing is I do not currently know the ohm reading differences between IDI cluster and Powerstroke cluster. If they are are different like I am sure they are. I will either mount the cluster in somehow where the idi cluster is. Or if I tuck the cluster under the dash purchase a tablet and run it obd2 and get all of my gauges that way. And I am unsure if my powerstroke harness has the chipped key. If it does then I will need the powerstroke cluster 110%. Maybe Iím just really understanding what exactly your trying to say.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:36 PM

So On the engine. The obs and superduty engines are the same besides the uvch. Which is an easy fix.

The trans. Your idi trans is an e4od right? The obs trans is e4od. So I think (not 100%) that the obs pcm might run your current trans.
If you run all obs wiring even the cluster itís pretty much plug and play. But you can run a cut down harness.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Correct, my idi trans is indeed the e40d. My goal here is to be able to plug and play. So then when Iím going through things Iím not cunfused to weather or not itís idi or powerstroke wiring. And to make this swap more simple for others. Iím cleaning the engine bay out. Anything that involves an idi motor or idi trans will be removed. The powerstroke and 4r100 will the be dropped into its place. I will then take all of the powerstroke wiring and put it into place of the idi wiring. Then I will run the wiring in the cab for the cluster and peddle. I will make a custom placement for the powerstroke cluster to go into place of the idi cluster. Then everything will be plug and play and simple. Easy and no wire chasing. If there are wires that I do not need then I will remove them. This swap is a 1990 Ford F-350 dually 2wd with the 7.3 idi (non turbo) and a e40d trans and I will be placing a 2001 super duty 7.3 powerstroke with a 4r100 trans. I know whatís going on here and I NOW know that the powerstroke cluster reads at different ohm levels than the idi cluster. Splicing the powerstroke into my idi wiring will take to much time and labor for what it honestly is. My 2001 powerstroke will not talk to my 1990 idi computer. WILL NOT. My 2001 powerstroke will not read at the same ohms as my idi computer/ cluster. The 7.3 idi (non turbo) and 7.3 powerstroke May be very similar blocks if not the same but the electronic compatibility is nothing alike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode