Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

My 2002 7.3l sucks starting in the cold

917 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  jonboy9001 
#1 ·
I installed a Wabasto heater for it, but if I dont start that before hand, my truck complains about starting in the shade. Could it be glow plugs? I've recently replaced the starter and batteries.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#3 ·
could be the glow plugs, or it could be the glow plug controller.
probably the relay, they fail a lot more than the glow plugs.
on cold engine turn key to run and test glow plug relay. you should have 12 bolts on both large terminals.
It's a 2002 the glow plugs could be newer though, not sure what brand either. The light stays on about 10-15 seconds I'd say maybe a bit longer.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#4 ·
yea, i saw it was 02 after i typed that out and posted it. you posted in the wrong forum. i have since reworded the questions with a way to test the relay. the wait to start light on the 02 will come on whether the glow plugs work or not.
what i do with these trucks is put a LED on the output of the glow plug relay to see if it is sending power to the glow plugs or not.
when working, the relay will power the glow plugs for up to 2 minutes.

#6 ·
if it is bad plugs it will have power out of the relay.
OR the under valve cover connectors are bad and not sending power to the glow plugs.
my 02 has 195k miles on the original plugs and the 2000 at the body shop has 360k miles on the original plugs. both still start fine cold. but thy have seen many relays over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.