Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Checking for boost leaks

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jgos929 
#1 ·
Hey what do you think is the best way for checking for boost leaks on the 7.3 diesel. I have a plug were my intake heater used to go that I drilled and taped for my boost sensor. I was thinking about removing the boost sensor and putting in a fitting that I can put 10 psi of regulated air into the engine. I would have to cap the intake of the turbo to prevent air from escaping from there right.

#2 ·
Take off all your boots, inspect and clean them, put them back together with hairspray. There are two orange ones in the valley too.

If that doesnt help, check your firewall for soot or around the base of the turbo. The donut gaskets in the up pipes tend to break loose after so long (or a poorly done turbo swap).

If it is the up pipes in the rear you have two choices, some people can use sb 350 gaskets and get those to crush (I tried and failed twice), the proper way is to order some bellowed up pipes from either Diesel Innovations or someone who carries IH up pipes.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Go to home depot get a 4" pvc cap or which ever one will fit the I.D. of the intake hose, a 3/8 ball valve,pressure reg. with gauge.Also get enough 3/8 couplers (2)to put all the chit together. oh you need whatever male end(style) your air hose has( You do have an air compressor don't you)? Put that in the inlet side where your air filter goes unhooking it from your air box of course, use the clamp to hold it together. I would set the reg. on your air comp. to about 25 psi. Next set the one you put on the boost leak checker (this one is for safety). open ball valve up and start checking your connections. **** Use the hose clamp on your intake that you took off the airbox/aftermarket intake ****

*********** Be very careful and pay attention I have had one of these blow out *************

#4 ·
If you blow a boot, it is extremely loud. One of the mods from TDS (Kevin I believe) was listening for the leek, had a boot blow off (there it is), it actually burst an eardrum. I would start with about 15lbs. Check for leaks with soapy water, not an ear listening really close.

#5 ·
when making the pipes for my truck, I made a set of plugs from some scrap. One has a cheap pressure gauge, the other has a valve stem. Total investment: about $12 USD.

One thing I did learn is that when the plug comes off at 20-25psi, it will leave a bruise on your chest. Or, it will launch the plug from the top of the core support into the hood with enough force to break the gauge, and still ricochet into the weeds at the side of the garage. The boom will give you a headache if nothing else, and probably scare the neighbors.

After that, I recommend putting a bead on the end of the plugs to keep them from slipping off.
My bead of choice: Coat hanger. bend it around the pipe and tack-weld about every 1/2 to 1 inch. works great. I did that on the pipes I made for my truck and I've had the truck up to about 30psi and the boots never budged.

If you want to test the whole system at once, you'll have to take the spyder off the engine, or at least take both tubes off the spyder. You will probably have intake and exhaust valves open in at least one cylinder and leaking air if you try to test the pipes/boots with them connected to the engine (like your original plan).

#6 ·
If you want to test the whole system at once, you'll have to take the spyder off the engine, or at least take both tubes off the spyder. You will probably have intake and exhaust valves open in at least one cylinder and leaking air if you try to test the pipes/boots with them connected to the engine (like your original plan).
yes but the intake and exhaust wouldn't be open at the same time. if one is open the other is closed so at the worst case scenario is the intake being open and him filling the cylinder with air also. the rings should be able to hold that much pressure at least enough to find a leak

here is some that i have seen. as you can see this one goes into the intake tube.

and this one goes right on the turbo itself. i prefer this type because the intake tubes are made for suction not pressure and that has always made me nervous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.