WEIRD CLOCK SPRING ISSUE OR NOT??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! NOT USUAL SYMPTOMS OF CLOCK SPRING - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Exclamation WEIRD CLOCK SPRING ISSUE OR NOT??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! NOT USUAL SYMPTOMS OF CLOCK SPRING

Ok so the story is this. My horn was weak from day one of buying the truck sounded like one side of the horn was out. I hit the Horn one day and nothing. The next day I noticed my cruise doesn't work. I have been researching for months trying to figure out if its my clock spring or not and what spring to get because I have two options.

So here is my questions:

1. Does the clock spring being bad always make the air bag light stay on?
Mine is not on but still no horn or cruise

2. If it is the clock spring do I get the one with or without airbag. the price is almost double for the one with airbag. I don't know how to determine the one to get.

3. PLEASE HELP ME QUICK!! I'm about to drive 500 miles all highway and I would like to have a leg left when i get there.

2002 F250 Ext Cab Long Bed 4x4. SOLD!!!

2015 6.7 Powerstroke.... SCT Livewire w/MPD custom tunes, Rudy's egr delete, 5" DP back to 7" Tip, S&B Air Intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Luddite in Charge

Re: WEIRD CLOCK SPRING ISSUE OR NOT??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! NOT USUAL SYMPTOMS OF CLOCK SPRING

I pulled my hair on this same issue.... Fuses all okay and after replacing the spring I still had no horn or cruise, but the horn would work with the alarm. Finally pissed to all dimensions of other galaxies I started pulling plastic off the column. Sure enough, where it pivots for the tilt they run a harness in a really unintelligent spot and three of the conductors had rubbed through.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: WEIRD CLOCK SPRING ISSUE OR NOT??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! NOT USUAL SYMPTOMS OF CLOCK SPRING

I will look at that as well Andy. How did you fix that problem?

2015 6.7 Powerstroke.... SCT Livewire w/MPD custom tunes, Rudy's egr delete, 5" DP back to 7" Tip, S&B Air Intake

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Luddite in Charge

Took the harness off an identical parts truck I have... But if my memory hasn't been too badly polluted I believe there was plenty of room *under* the column to splice and route it. This would have made the most sense for Ford to do but some jacka$$ went to college for a real long time to decide to put it where they did.

While they're separate and unrelated issues, have you checked the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder? They were recalled years ago but if your truck was never upgraded it could be an issue now. That does nothing for your horn tho, so...

Do you have an alarm? As I said about mine, the horn would work for the alarm chirp but not for hitting the steering wheel. That's why I started digging into the column. Food for thought....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Luddite in Charge

That harness is NOT AT ALL fun to chase and replace, so I would recommend first trying to solder (don't chewing gum it up with butt connectors) a new conductor(s) in rather than chasing and pulling that entire harness out
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks Mr_Andy. Any idea on the air bag choice issue from the parts store?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Luddite in Charge

http://www.partsgeek.com/p4qfs79-for...ag+Clockspring
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ah the part is year sensitive. that helps a lot. looks like I need the one with out the Airbag.
whoop whoop that cheaper.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 09:48 AM
PSN Local

M horn stopped working one day then my air bag light came on.....it was a piece of glass in the column chewing stuff up.

01 f-250 7.3. XL lariat interior w/pw, pl, and tilt. 203* t-stat, dp-80 econo, FASS filtration and pump, SB clutch,4" turbo back, muffler delete, fuel bowl delete, ebpv delete diy regulated return, 6637
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

See my air bag light isn't on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode