cannot get obd2 to connect to pcm - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

cannot get obd2 to connect to pcm

I had a cheapo elm 327 that worked for a day or two then one day it wouldn't work. so I returned it and got a really good one its also a bluetooth but it will not connect to my pcm it just says (cannot communicate with ecu). I figured fuse 12 was blown but my cigar lighter and everything else works. it turns on like it has power and connects to my phone but no my pcm anyone have any ideas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
f-250 7.3L powerstroke superduty xlt sc sb 4x4 offroad, pure turbos 360 turbo rebuild kit,
mile marker 449 s/s hub locks, php phoenix 6 position chip, diy 6637 intake, 140k and rollin strong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 10:24 AM
PSN Local

Re: cannot get obd2 to connect to pcm

Not sure what kind you bought, but there are quite a few OBDII scanners that don't work on our old trucks. If you are trying to trouble shoot, take what you bought back and buy the AE Ford bundle.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Village Idiot

Mine stopped working as well...I updated torque now it doesn't work.
It works on my kids cars to scan but is now a worthless ap.....

But the bigger question is will it work with ae.
I assume so but...

Maybe there is a battery issue. I know my hand held scanner did not like to read some cars with dead cells. Which is a possibility.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Most store bought scanners DO NOT work with the powerstroke engines. They are not true OBD2 systems. AE with Ford enhanced bundle definitely works with them as well as snapon and other high end scanners.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southmike View Post
Mine stopped working as well...I updated torque now it doesn't work.
It works on my kids cars to scan but is now a worthless ap.....

But the bigger question is will it work with ae.
I assume so but...

Maybe there is a battery issue. I know my hand held scanner did not like to read some cars with dead cells. Which is a possibility.
I had the exact same thing happen to me I updated and now it won't work I has one that worked fine then one day it just stopped communication with the pcm could it be the update

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
f-250 7.3L powerstroke superduty xlt sc sb 4x4 offroad, pure turbos 360 turbo rebuild kit,
mile marker 449 s/s hub locks, php phoenix 6 position chip, diy 6637 intake, 140k and rollin strong
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

And I would get a snap on or an ae if I had the money and knew it would connect to my pcm. I don't really need it tho I only wanted it for the few guages it actually had. I may be getting a glow shift 3in1 as anyone used these and are they reliable

post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 03:17 AM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich View Post
And I would get a snap on or an ae if I had the money and knew it would connect to my pcm. I don't really need it tho I only wanted it for the few guages it actually had. I may be getting a glow shift 3in1 as anyone used these and are they reliable
That is the exact thing that happend to me.

2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Is the truck running fine, or does it not run? Usually, when a scan tool cannot communicate and the fuses are good, the PCM is likely to be the problem.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 11:24 PM
PSN Newb

I know when my truck wouldn't start just crank and I couldn't connect to the PCM/ obdII that my maxi fuse under the good for the PCM was blown. I believe it's fuse 24. That is assuming the truck won't start.

2000 F350 CCLB 7.3, 4x4 AT
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:37 AM
Village Idiot

I have to double check mine ..but I am 80% sure it is the torque ap itself. The next thing I want to try is wired cord.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode