Oil in hpop reservoir - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Oil in hpop reservoir

I recently replaced the fuel injector sleeves in my 02 7.3L. I had the oil changed as soon as I finished that project. I've noticed the oil on the dipstick is staying "cleaner" looking longer than it did before. I attributed that to the injector o-rings being shot. Problem now is that my truck is throwing a p1211 code. I installed a gauge today to check my hpop pressure. I'm only putting out 2200 psi max but I noticed when installing the fitting to hook my gauge to that the oil in the oil rail is really black. Doesn't the oil for the hpop recirculate back through the entire engine? Can't understand the huge contrast in color between oil pan and oil rail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:22 AM
PR

Re: Oil in hpop reservoir

I change my HPOP reservoir oil on its own because, while the oil there does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often as the rest of the system and does get dirty sooner. It is such an important part of how well the injectors distribute fuel, that it is well worth the extra effort to keep it clean.
Drain out the HPOP reservoir, re-add oil (1 qt or till topped off.) drive for a day , repeat until oil appears clean. There are approximately three quarts total in the injector HPOP system.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:28 AM
Freak'n know it all

OR drive the truck for a few minutes and all of the oil in the HPOP system will be changed...

I suspect that if you dip the oil from the res and drop it on a white card and do the same with the dipstick you'll see the same color

99.5 350 crewcab dually 4x4
stage 1 singles, PHP tunes, banks bighead,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
autometer gauges,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, South Bend HD clutch, Gen 2 wicked wheel, AIS intake system.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 AM
Super Hauler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP reservoir oil on its own because, while the oil there does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often as the rest of the system and does get dirty sooner. It is such an important part of how well the injectors distribute fuel, that it is well worth the extra effort to keep it clean.
Drain out the HPOP reservoir, re-add oil (1 qt or till topped off.) drive for a day , repeat until oil appears clean. There are approximately three quarts total in the injector HPOP system.
NO FUKING WAY DID SOMEONE SAY THIS! Sig worthy here!

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 AM
PSN Veteran

The oil will naturally recirculate so there is no need to change out the oil in the reservoir. How many miles on the HPOP? Are you tuned?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
There are approximately three quarts total in the injector HPOP system.
There is no such thing as a separate HPOP system. Its all the same oil and recirculates in seconds.

Bob

Bob Riley, Owner:

:

Proud Sponsor of Powerstrokenation.com
GOT DIESEL? Tech Line 352-257-1669
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

130,000 miles on the pump. I'm running a super tech 65 hp tune. Have had this same tune for over ten years now. From some other posts I've read, I need to be in the 2800-3000 psi range. Is that correct?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Do you have difficulty with hot starts? 2200 rail pressure with stock injectors is an issue-- You are throwing the p1211 because the rail pressure will not meet the commanded requirement of the tuning. I suspect the pump delivers plenty of pressure, but you are not holding the pressure due to a leak.

At 130K, its time-- Start with the IPR oring replacement, then go to injector orings. The top oring on the injector that holds oil rail pressure is often the first one to go.

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Injector o-rings are new. Just replaced them when i replaced injector sleeves about two months ago. I'll check the IPR o-ring.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkermrk View Post
130,000 miles on the pump. I'm running a super tech 65 hp tune. Have had this same tune for over ten years now. From some other posts I've read, I need to be in the 2800-3000 psi range. Is that correct?
Yes, that is correct. Have you tried doing a WOT run without the chip? What is your IPR duty cycle when you are at 2200 psi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandkole View Post
Do you have difficulty with hot starts? 2200 rail pressure with stock injectors is an issue-- You are throwing the p1211 because the rail pressure will not meet the commanded requirement of the tuning. I suspect the pump delivers plenty of pressure, but you are not holding the pressure due to a leak.

At 130K, its time-- Start with the IPR oring replacement, then go to injector orings. The top oring on the injector that holds oil rail pressure is often the first one to go.
This is very possible. Change the o-rings on the IPR and injectors. If the problem is still there, I would say it is time for a new HPOP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode