• 1 Post By Diesel Power Products
  • 1 Post By boostedretard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Garage
Not your Uncles Excursion

Hello folks!

Ben here from Diesel Power Products. I recently sold my 1996 Powerstroke and picked up a 2003 7.3 Excursion with 118K on the odometer, bone stock from its original owner.

Overall goal for the truck is the theme ďNot your Uncles Excursion.Ē As time moves on and diesel trucks grow in popularity there is one market that remains untapped for the time being. You CANNOT get a full size SUV with a diesel in it any more. If you want to load the wife and kids, the dog, all your gear and tow something on a trip you either have to all cram into a truck that can pull whatever you have well or take the hit and get a gas engine and enjoy the 6MPG and 35MPH going uphill. This has put a HUGE value on the last SUV to have a diesel in it, the Ford Excursion, especially the 99-03ís with the legendary 7.3. In stock form when they came out they got the job done in spades. All the room you could ever need plus tow whatever you want. Now with the updates in technology and diesel trucks rolling off the showroom floor with 400+HP these old 7.3ís drive and feel a bit sluggish. The driving force behind this build is donít sell it, upgrade it. Make it current again, freshen it up keep using it.

I do not intend on making tons of power, the goal is 450HP, the RIGHT way. I want a smooth running, long lasting updated Excursion. This is for the guy who maybe has a stock excursion and has toyed around with the idea of selling it for a newer, more powerful truck but get discouraged by the $65K price tag PLUS itís not an SUV any more. Why not put some money into your most likely already paid off Excursion and freshen it up?

The main parts of this build will happen in three phases. Small odds and ends will happen between phases, however these will be the big portions of the build.

Phase 1: Turbo, up pipes, pedestal, outlet, tuner, intake, exhaust
Phase 2: Injectors, headstuds, HPOP, regulated return, FASS, plenums, intake manifold
Phase3: Suspension (either converting to coils, or good leaf spring system)

Subscribe to follow it along and see how it goes. Pictures will be up soon.
Zmann and FlossyB like this.

Diesel Power Products
888-99-DIESEL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Garage
Re: Not your Uncles Excursion

As promised, here are some pictures of the build thus far and some in-process shots. You can see we started off with a VERY clean rig. Previously mentioned, this was a single owner BONE STOCK truck with low miles on it. Perfect platform to start with. Only thing I changed since I bought it in these pictures is the Odyessy batteries. I highly recommend these to anyone in the market, they are dry cell and make starting this big ol beast easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9986.JPG (6.79 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9987.JPG (6.41 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9988.JPG (6.72 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9990.JPG (6.34 MB, 17 views)

Diesel Power Products
888-99-DIESEL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Garage

Here are some interior shots of the truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9993.jpg (5.24 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9994.JPG (5.46 MB, 13 views)

Diesel Power Products
888-99-DIESEL

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Garage

On to the install!

Stock turbo, pedestal and up-pipes out. Shown here are the BD-Diesel up-pipes in place.

Side by side of the stock charger and GTP38R with the Wicked Wheel installed.

Side by side comparison of the stock GTP38R wheel and Wicked Wheel. I should have weighed them. I can tell you it is MUCH lighter and I could notice once it was installed on the charger that it took significantly less effort to spin it.

Part numbers/Links
BD-Diesel Up-Pipes BD-1043900 http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p...e-1043900.aspx
Garrett GTP38R GAR-739619-5004S http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p...ke-gtp38r.aspx
Wicked Wheel DS-WW38R http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p...werstroke.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0007.JPG (6.82 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (4.77 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9998.JPG (5.37 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.JPG (6.49 MB, 13 views)

Diesel Power Products
888-99-DIESEL

Last edited by Diesel Power Products; 04-01-2016 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Add part numbers and links.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Garage

Installed the Rotomaster NON-EBV Pedestal and outlet. Very nice and easy to use especially with all the supplied new hardware and o-rings.

Finished product!

I did not take any pictures of the exhaust install. We used a Diamond Eye 4" turbo back kit with muffler. They recently revamped their kits for the Excursions and it went in with no problems! You may also notice it is labeled for 01-02, we confirmed it will work on a 2003 with a 7.3.

You can also see our in-house hose kit and spring clamps installed here. I like the way they look and they are sure to hold up to whatever we decide to throw at them!

Part numbers/Links
Rotomaster Pedestal ROT-A1382205N Rotomaster Turbo Pedestal without EBV 99.5-03 7.3L Ford Powerstroke
Rotomaster Outlet ROT-A1383801N Turbo Outlet WITHOUT EBV Valve 99.5-03 7.3L Powerstroke
Diamond Eye Exhaust DE-K4332A Diamond Eye 4" Aluminized Turbo Back Exhaust 01-02 7.3L Excursion
Diesel Power Products Hoses and Clamps DPP-OH150-L99 Intercooler Silicone Hose Kit 7.3L Ford Powerstroke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.JPG (5.17 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.JPG (6.32 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.JPG (6.55 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0017.jpg (7.19 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.JPG (4.60 MB, 12 views)

Diesel Power Products
888-99-DIESEL

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Garage

Update on the Excursion. Took a decent trip last weekend with the addition of the S&B Cold Air Intake. Pretty flat easy drive, about 300 miles round trip. Ran it on the highway around 75 the whole way and got 18MPG. Was pretty impressed. I would assume with a drop in speed to 70 which would drop the RPM's right at 2,000 I could see a pretty good increase in economy.

Any one else getting good numbers in their 7.3 Excursions?

If anyone has anything they would like to see on it or specific questions let me know. This is my first documented build so any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Link to S&B Intake: S&B Cold Air Intake System 99-03 7.3L Ford Powerstroke

Ben
Zmann likes this.

Diesel Power Products
888-99-DIESEL

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 12:15 AM
PSN Local

18s not bad at all. Once you have some single shots with good tuning it should help out be slightly more effecient.

97 250 7.3 Eaton VMP TVS, IDI performance T4 mount, S369SXE, my B code 350/200- my tunes- honey badger SR, Efuel, 5" SKY RSK TTB, BMW M3 seats, Toyo M/T
54 GMC 453T
45 Chevy 451 diesel
51 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Garage

Update on the Excursion.

Was getting a check engine light for an ICP, P1211 code as well as the EBV, p0475 sensor. It has been running just fine so I cleared the code and let it run for a while. Code popped back up so I figured it was worth looking into. Popped the connector off the ICP sensor and saw it was saturated with oil. Time for a new sensor! Replaced that and cleared the code. In all honesty I did not think I would make that big of a difference in normal operation or performance as it runs fine now and pulls like a champ. WOW, I was wrong. Now that the engine and PCM are getting real time data instead of default information from the ICP everything seems to work better. I have smoother idle, better throttle response and on the higher tunes it cleaned up quite a bit. Much more enjoyable to drive. Definitely a learning experience for me!

Next I moved onto the EBV code. I was smart enough to pull the cable towards the front of the engine while replacing the turbo and pedestal so it was easily accessible. I read on a lot of different sources that a simple 1-Watt | 400+ ohm resistor will trip the sensor and handle the code just fine. I went out to my local Radio Shack and purchased a 1-kohm | 1-Watt Resistor, part number 271053 and just bent it accordingly to fit in the connector. Covered it with some electrical tape for now and cleared the code. Been about two weeks and no code! Always nice when one of those simple fixes really works!

After this was all complete I took it out for a victory lap, had my DP-Tuner cranked up and was going through some hard pulls. Now I am getting an over-boost code. I am fairly confident that since this is the first time I have seen it, the cause was parts I installed on the truck actually creating more boost than the stock PCM wants to see. Other option would be the MAP sensor has gone bad, if this was the case I think I would have seen the code sooner. That being said since I have access to a scanner, I will be performing a test in which I unplug the MAP and scan the PCM for any error codes. Then repeat the same thing with it plugged in. Should be able to figure out just what the deal is. Which also means a boost fooler will be happening soon.

Moving on, current issue I am dealing with is a fuel gauge not working. Here are my symptoms. Full gauge cluster works, even the overhead with the miles to empty function. All fuses good. And when I say the gauge does not work, its not stuck or reading empty, it is giving zero read out, at all. Interesting thing too is the low fuel level light will come on when it is low. So we can assume the electronics in the tank are good... Anyone ever dealt with a gauge not working? I know I will most likely need to pull the cluster and see what is going on. Just putting feelers out.

Anyhow, thanks for reading and following. Please feel free to comment or ask questions. We have a lot of resources at our disposal here and are happy to test or try things to help people out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBV Resistor.JPG (3.13 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Gauge.JPG (1.77 MB, 3 views)

Diesel Power Products
888-99-DIESEL

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:19 PM
PSN Newb

Sounds like a stepper motor on the gauge. I have a 2000 that has received a new set of single shots and cups, ww2 in the stock turbo, bellowed pipes and a hydra. When I started my project I was in the 12-14mpg area now with the thing running strong and shifting well it's about 18hwy and 15-16 in town on 35's. My next set of investments will be a set of rear bag for towing the jet boat and exterior repaint or Line x....on the fence still.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode