PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - View Single Post - Reviews Chevy vs Ford
View Single Post
post #43 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:07 PM
99f250pows
PSN Local

Re: Reviews Chevy vs Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Whats the truck at work? Year, make, model? If it has an easier life than the 'other' trucks why does it need repair? If you guys just repaired it, why is it still broke, aka clunking? Maybe its not being 'repaired' but rather having parts thrown at it haphazardly. My lift was put on and checked periodically for the first year and now I just repair things when they break, which is due to environmental-rust moreso than premature failure. ON a monobeam truck the only way something can 'clunk' is something isnt assembled properly, i.e.,missing parts or improper fastener application(like under-torqued bolts or wrong grade of bolts).

Im not saying that a solid axle truck doesnt need repair but ifs(infinitely fixing stuff or shti) is more maintenance heavy, lest you let it all rust together and perform poorly. I dont think that ifs is bad but not for heavy duty trucks. It lightens the front end too much. Just because most people dont service ifs frontends doesnt mean they dont need it. All this is just my opinion. Ive had both types of front ends on a truck so its not entirely w/o experience that I prefer the solid axle. The ifs seems to rattle once the truck gets miles on it, especially during off road use. The solid axle is more bouncy.
99 f250 ps auto 4x4. The ford does float smoother on rough dirt roads but lacks in confidence. We have an ifs truck with double the mileage less expense and it is a 1500 that was used like a 3500 at that. Im not saying solid axle is junk but ifs has its place and works very well and weighing less is not a bad thing.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome