Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Reviews Chevy vs Ford

13K views 82 replies 29 participants last post by  99f250pows 
#1 ·
Of the reviews that I've read the only one thus far that has been entirely positive about the Chevy/GM HD truck is pickuptrucks.com! The review in Popular Mechanics gave the win to the Ford... PM rated the ride quality, interior, fit and finish and noise levels to all be superior in the Ford. Then Car and Driver had this to say about the GMC Denali's ride quality:

"The Sierra is not without its flaws, however. While a suspension designed to accommodate a one-ton payload atop the shoulders of a four-ton truck is never going to be compliant, there’s a difference between unyielding and uncivilized. Small impacts jostle occupants, but over larger impacts, the front axle feels detached, like it’s rattling in its bushings. “Unfinished” is hardly a confidence-inspiring vibe to get from a work truck."

"Additionally, while the Denali package spruces up the interior, it doesn’t do anything about the low quality of the plastics. (At just $1305 more than a similar Sierra SLT, the main benefit of the Denali package is the monochromatic exterior appearance.) The black tuxedo treatment inside and out masks the cheapness somewhat, but the massive expanse of black plastic that forms the inner door looks low-budget, as does the lower dash panel. Not only that, but they feel hard and hollow."

Pickuptrucks completely ignored all of these things, and even at one point (if I am not mistaken) stated that the ride in the Chevy was better than the Ford and Dodge. I just don't understand how two reviews can agree while a third is entirely off base on its description and conclusion. Pickuptrucks also ignored the interior quality, fit and finish, and available options. These things are important as the interior is the place we will all spend the most time!

My wife and I just purchased a 2011 F-250 Lariat with navigation... But before we bought this truck we were ready to buy the Chevy if it was really superior, I was worried about jumping into a new vehicle that had yet to go through the everyday paces, but the Ford just offered so much more for the money. Sync, power, fit and finish, ride quality etc.

I conclusion, I don't understand where pickuptrucks is coming from on this one, Mike seems to have completely missed the mark on this one. What are everyone elses thoughts?

See less See more
#54 ·
IFS on a halfton is very understandable... to think that a big heavy truck is better off with IFS than a big strong SFA is nonsense.. JMO

Over 100K miles here and never touched for maintainance.... i've thrown alot of power at this thing as well.

#55 ·
CNBC is doing a special program on Ford Reinventing an American icon. Everytime i see a new Dodge or Chevy truck i think why is that guy buying from the GOVERMENT I don't support wellfare and whats worse is this lies that they have paid back the Taxpayers. Buy the ford its superior and you can jump on the best american success story in years GMC Govermant Motor Company there IRS Camaro even gets its but kicked by live axle mustang come on chevy boys jump in, the water's HOT!!!:poke:

#56 ·
Funny your writing about this cause they just had a write up in the paper about GM VS Ford .... Title was "Is GM worth as much as Ford" it was about Stocks and it talked about the Money borrowed and peoples thoughts on that!

basically came down to people liking the Ford For not usen Our tax money among other reasons!

What Got me was they said GM would be able to Put money back into their Products sooner because of the bail out.... it said Ford had Morgaged everything they had for the restructure and it would take longer before they would have the extra cash to put into their Products...

The Paper DID say they/GM still owe the tax Money!!!

It also stated that GM has had 4 CEO's in the Last 2 years.. Ford #1 :~)

#57 ·
GM is as bad as Goldman Sach's bunch of back door thieves. If ford fails that is last of capitalism for most part in this country. Ford put it on the line did not put out hand and squeal and for that there is risk and that is how it is supposed to work. The friendly chevy Ford argument is not that anymore any red blooded American must see the highjjacking of our car companies Ford is the Last major manufacturer i dont know how will play out with such a disadvantage no one seems to care if companies or people are on wellfare or were the product comes from and that will eventually kill this great company and our kidds will have to fight to rid goverment from our lives so buy that camaro order that pelosi edition iI will stick with a white ford work truck that keeps this country turning. If you all don't agree that what i fought for for this country and thats great i just hope it stays that way. If you don't see then besides ford, some beer and prostituition. see what else we still make in this country. Vanity is a sighn of decline in society and most reality tv shows are just about that. sorry for monolog!!:blah:

#58 ·
I have an 08 f250 and I drive an 08 chevy for my company truck, I put 70,000 miles a year on the duramax and I dont mind the motor. I HATE the rest of that truck. I cant beleive they could sell a truck that is such a peice of crap.

#59 ·
Right there with ya....We're about to get another 2011 dmax at work...the last 07 has 170k on it and its a pos. Shakes and shudders. It runs decent still. Ill give it that. Our 09 has 91k on it and is still nice. The first 2011 we have is approaching the 10k mile mark already and has used twice the urea it should have. It runs good and stops a little better than the older trucks but it still needs work. Im waiting for the driveshaft to come through the floor some morning when we're pulling the trailer. What can you expect for 55 grand though? I wouldnt ever buy one. POS.

#61 ·
i always get the impression pickuptrucks.com is all about who is faster in the 1/4. Personally i want reliability, function, towing, hauling and mileage. Which adds up to a Ford from my experience. I am really interested in their shoot out between the 2011 f350 and 3500 Chevy coming out on Nov 15th, the trucks are evenly equipped and have 3:73 gears to minimize all the whining at the end when they have different axle ratios. This started when Chevy challenged Ford to a shoot out in the Rockies (high altitude) and ford declined, apparently GM bought a new Ford ( your tax dollars at work) to go ahead and do the test anyways with out Ford. Even if Chevy wins I will still buy a Ford as i don't like the Chevy styling, the cheapo interiors, the
IFS, or the paper thin sheet metal. I have to admit though Chevy had built their best truck to date

#65 ·
the funny thing about those GM max and al commercials is only chevy guys like em lol....duramax site there is a thread going there and they all think its Hilarius, same on the pickuptruck.com site, every one else for the most part thinks they are lame. Thought GM was trying to lure in new chevy buyers not turn them off and entertain the current diehard chev guys :confused:

#73 ·
I junked my GMC 2010 2500hd z71 4x4(6.0 Gasser) because it rattled going down dirt roads the traction control is a pain in the ass if you are trying to pull something offroad in 2wd. The seals started to leak and the trany temp was constantly around 250.

#74 ·
Yea it is much harder to get a good deal on a gm HD truck and ford does have much better marketing. The local ford lot has at least 6 diesel pickups at any given time and the chevy lot does good to get that many in an entire year. My boss is actually considering buying an f450 because they are easier to get a good deal on than a 3500 chevy even tho he likes the gm truck and drive train better. Gm does a very lousy job of keeping up with demand and it probly costs them more in sales than any thing else.

#77 ·
I think I can give a fair comparison since buying history wise Im a chevy/gmc person. My F250, F100 and F150 all were bought within 1 year after owning the follow gm products.

1998 gmc 1500 4x4
1985 full size blazer
1984 s10 blazer
1981 3/4 ton suburban
1978 gm pickup
1977 chevy pickup
1975 chevy pickup
1973 chevy pickup
1965 chevy pickup

So how do my recent ford purchases compare?

The 1977 F100 is fun offroad but doesnt do anything for me as far as it being better than the chevy. Id rate it equal to anything in that year range.

The 1991 F150 drives better than the chevy, I like the interior of the chevy better as the chevies around that year have the stalk dimmer starting much earlier. Gauge layout and stereo is better in the chevy to me. But the driving victory for the 2wd F150 really suprised me how much better it was over the gm trucks.

Now for the F250. My 98 gmc 4x4 had trans issues at 80k miles which required me to rebuild it and till I modded the trans didnt shift worth a flip. You would not believe how much money gm has raked in over a design flaw they know about in the 4L60E trans that requires nothing more than a $50 shift kit to fix forever. Gm knows about it but likes selling those $1500 to $2500 trans's much more than doing whats right.

My gm's offroad abilities were a joke BUT it was a long wheel base regular cab 4x4. Ive stuck that truck in the front yard so many times its not even funny. My friends 98 extended cab short bed 1500 doesnt seem to have the same problems.

My F250 has 308,000 miles or more on it now. It drives as good as my 98 gmc did after I spent a fortune on aftermarket parts for it. But I will give the highway driving edge to the gmc as it was more car like. But the second you leave the pavement my 2002 F250 still drives great and the gmc felt more like a boat on choppy water.

Offroad my F250 will go places my gmc wouldnt even get close enough to know about let alone go thru. My F250 has never been stuck in the front yard and has never embarrased me like the gmc did. Ive even dropped the back tires off a cliff on my F250 with nothing touching the ground except the front tires and the nerf bars. My gmc would of needed a wrecker. My F250 just needed me to lock the front hubs in and it pulled the frame along the ground till the back tires were back up on the bluff.

I trust my F250. I was scared of my gmc leaving me stranded if 4x4 was needed. Ive had to pull people out with my s10 before I got the F250 since my gmc would just sit there and spin trying to pull someone out.

Interior wise my 98 was nice creature comfort wise. The F250 has a better heater and a better a/c than it had. I cant really compare much past this as my gmc was a regular cab and the F250 is a crew cab.

Before I bought my F250 I had parked my gmc because I couldnt afford to drive it to be honest. I never even notice keeping fuel in the F250 as it gets a ton better mpg than the gmc did.

Ford has improved the interiors of each model of the F series over and over. GM is stuck in the past. Once they hit 1995 or so they stopped making any real improvements. You can drive a late 90's gm and a 2011 and it looks like youve only changed one model year with minor changes.

From 1997 or so in the F series to 2011 its like a different manufacturer's interior. Thats progress and thats having a clue and thats how you stay #1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.