Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Questions about Banks Mods

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Mdub707 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2005 F250 and it has just about all the Banks mods Full Exhaust, Turbo Plumbing, Intake, intercooler and 6 gun tuner.

The motor feels very solid but the tune seems a little off. The turbo has tons of lag but produces good not great power starting at about 2500 RPM. I am getting about 16MPG City and about 18HWY.

All the upgrades make sense with increasing engine efficiency and boosting power but I believe the six gun programmer is not functioning correctly and I'm missing a bunch of potential HP.

Taking into consideration all the current upgrades what would you recommend doing to boost power? Should I remove the Banks programmer and move to a different programmer? I want the most power that I can get and remain reliability.

#2 ·
Launch the six gun and get an SCT. Problem solved.

#6 ·
Sell the six gun and buy a custom tuned SCT. Do a search for tuners and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Alot of opinions on tuners you'll learn. I went with Innovative. Your other mods are nothing out of the ordinary.

#7 ·
I just bought a 2005 F250 and it has just about all the Banks mods Full Exhaust, Turbo Plumbing, Intake, intercooler and 6 gun tuner.

The motor feels very solid but the tune seems a little off. The turbo has tons of lag but produces good not great power starting at about 2500 RPM. I am getting about 16MPG City and about 18HWY.

All the upgrades make sense with increasing engine efficiency and boosting power but I believe the six gun programmer is not functioning correctly and I'm missing a bunch of potential HP.

Taking into consideration all the current upgrades what would you recommend doing to boost power? Should I remove the Banks programmer and move to a different programmer? I want the most power that I can get and remain reliability.
Easiest fix, SCT tuner for your 05. Gobs of useable power and with some of the banks parts already in place, you'll be able to utilize even more tuning.
Just make sure you stud the truck, if reliability is your main game. Also- get the EGR cooler out of there.
You're off to a good start though!

#8 ·
I really appreciate everyones input on this. I'm sold. It looks like everyone prefers the SCT tuner and I just found that I actually know a friend that works at DynoSpeed Performance in Memphis and they're the local SCT Tuners.

I'll see if I can get numbers on the before and after moving from the six gun to SCT and post it here.

I am also now looking into ARP head studs and EGR Delete. Is there anything else you guys may recommend to help with reliability on the 05?

#9 ·
I haven't heard of DynoSpeed Performance. Do they do much diesel work or have experience tuning them? If they don't I would recommend usning a reputable tuner for your custom tunes on your SCT. Most of the Vendors on this site can provide you with excellent tunes. I use Innocative Diesel for mine.

#10 ·
I currently have my Six Gun listed on Ebay so I can add a few bucks and get a SCT thru Innovate. My Six Gun felt like it was not working since I removed the dash panel for some stereo work. Found out I just forgot to plug the selector switch back in after I removed the entire tuner and wiring.

#11 ·
I'd personally stick with one of the big tuners for the 6.0. Innovative diesel is who I went with, but there are others.

ARP studs, EGR delete are a good idea. Really research the whole headstud process on here and see what needs to be done, like having the heads pressure checked and decked for flatness.

A simple yet really effective add-on is the coolant filter. I highly recommend it.

What do you have for gauges? You will want those too.

#14 ·
I would suggest a fuel pressure gauge, that should be the first mod on a 6.0 IMO. coolant temp and oil temp would also be two pretty important gauges to have and to watch. I wish I would have went with those three initially.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.