Intended repairs/upgrades-Suggestions? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Landshark

Intended repairs/upgrades-Suggestions?

G'Day Gents!

I am in need of some suggestions/opinions concerning my truck's upcoming surgery at Bulletproof Diesel. The "Gallopin' Duck" is a 2005 F-350 King Ranch 6.0 I bought brand-new. There are 95K trouble free miles on it now; Edge with Attitude, 4" Magnaflow exhaust and an S&B intake...everything else engine-wise is stock. Coolant has been changed every two years and oil every 4K miles (lifetime oil change plan). Truck is nearly a daily driver with occasional pulling duty for 12K lb. travel trailer and lesser loads from time to time. So far this is the plan for the truck:

-New headgaskets/ARP studs
-hardened valve seats and head surfaces trued
-Bulletproof's EGR Cooler
-Bulletproof's remote Oil cooler
-Coolant Bypass filtration-Dieselsite's bitch'n system
-Oil Bypass filtration-Amsoil
-Banks' Intellicooler intercooler and related plumbing
-revised and updated STC fitting for the HPOP
-revised oil rail plugs (2 of them; one for each rail)
-SCT programmer (the expensive bastard) to replace my Edge
-new V-belts and tensioner assembly for the main drive belt (she currently howls like the ex-wife when pulling hard up a hill...I know I shouldn't have made her pull hard up the hill. That's probably why there's X now in front of wife.)
-New all aluminum radiator from bulletproof
-a few heater hoses replaced that are difficult to get to when the cab is in place. Doing this simply as preventative maintenance.

Now for questions.

1) Is there a better intake than my 3 year old S&B intake? here is the link to what I have:

Intake w/ Cleanable Filter

2) Injectors in truck now are original stock and have given no indication of any problems. Should I replace them now due to mileage (95,000 mi.) or can I expect them to live for a lot longer? Replacing them now would mean zero additional labor cost as the stock injectors have to come out anyway for the head work.

3) What is the deal with "canned" tunes on the SCT tuner vs. custom tunes from, like, Tony Wildman or others? Is it worth the $$ for custom tunes or would canned ones that come with the SCT suit my needs just fine as I'm not pulling sleds, drag racing or otherwise letting my inner 17 year old out--too much.

4) Should I replace my stock harmonic damper with a stock one as preventative maintenance or upgrade to Fluidamper or other aftermarket brand or leave the F*&#%@ alone?

5) Is there anything else one should do to the truck or engine (high and low pressure oil pumps, seals, gears, or whatever else goes wrong) to save problems, improve performance etc while the cab is off and the top of the engine is eviscerated? As mentioned, I'm not looking to build a Bahn-stormer.

6) Do you agree/disagree with plan of attack?

I welcome your thoughts and opinions. I know my limitations in knowledge with diesels and I sit at a bench too uninformed (C string bench as it were) to cover all contingencies so that is where your experience and wisdom comes in. Let's hear it!

-Brian
Southern Oregon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7991.jpg (971.4 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Sponsor

Re: Intended repairs/upgrades-Suggestions?

I will probably say yes on the custom tuned SCT and it looks like you have most of it covered. On the injectors, i would say maybe a nice set of 165's or 175's just to be able to keep the stock fuel pump and still get that nice boost from them.

Javi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

661-368-5284

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] Automotive View Post
I will probably say yes on the custom tuned SCT and it looks like you have most of it covered. On the injectors, i would say maybe a nice set of 165's or 175's just to be able to keep the stock fuel pump and still get that nice boost from them.
Okay on the custom tune...I'll endeavor to get that done. Any idea on turn-around time for that and who would you suggest to do the custom tune?
Also, what brand of injectors? And this is a question I should know the answer to; but, what size are my stockers? Thanks for the input. I was wondering if anyone would respond.

-Brian

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 PM
PSN Veteran

Cassrly at full force. He's expensive but uses manufactured injectors instead of customers injectors and alters them. Me personally i would stay with stock injectors easier to get a replacement and more reliable in my mind

TT

Zoodad mod, high idle mod, blue winshield washer fluid, cat delete mod, tinted windows
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Landshark

Thanks Johnny! I am leaning on staying with factory injectors simply because I keep reading and hearing complaints on various aftermarket injectors but rarely do I see praise heaped on them...with due regard to the contented but silent...majority? -Brian
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:06 PM
PSN Veteran

I am also not very happy with the bank intercooler. I have one with the tubes and such and honestly I did not see a damn bit a difference daily driving. It made a little difference towing but honestly I would never spend the money. To tell you the truth I have removed the entire thing from my truck and its sitting in the box right now. It looked cool but thats about it lol.

I am currently doing a similar project but you have a much larger budget. Over the last year I have put two new heads on with studs, new oil cooler and egr cooler. My plans is to do an egr delete kit, coolant filter with non-stock coolant, edge insight fore ect eot gauges and a fuel pressure gauge. I would also run a trans and pyro gauge to. My ultimatel goal is to have trans, egt and fuel pressure emchanical gauges in the pillar with the edge monitoring ect, eot with the stick on mount on the windshield. I currently only run a tow tune because it adds about 50 hp and should be the most reliable. I dotn want to deal with blown head gaskets again. If you can delete the egr I would look into dougs manifold. People are reporting 150 degree drop in egts and costs about the same as the banks manifold.

I plan on keeping stock turbo and fuel injectors because if I am crosscountry and loose an injecotr I like being able to walk into ford and pay 260 dollars and be on my way again. This is all based on my truck which is not the normal truck by any means. Make sure you run valvoline extreme blue oil. Its expensive but really helped my truck.

TT

Zoodad mod, high idle mod, blue winshield washer fluid, cat delete mod, tinted windows
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 PM
PSN Local

I would definately get the custom tunes. Elite Diesel and Innovative tunes are the most repped tunes out there. It wouldn't hurt to have your turbo and HPOP checked out also.

2005 F-250 FX4 CC SB
EGR delete, ARP studs
225's, VGT-HO
Spearco, AFE, Flowpro 4"
Nitrous
Suncoast tranny (want a NADP)
Elite fueling
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Landshark

Thanks Jonny and Powerhouse for the replies. Jonny, why did you remove the Banks IC if it did help a bit with towing? Part of why I want to replace the stock IC is because of the help with towing AND the issues of separation of the side 'tank' from the cooler due to flimsy-cheesy design. The local mechanic at Ford said he had replaced a few bone-stock trucks' intercoolers when the intercoolers divorced their side tanks due to this weak design. And, you saw no difference in power (up or down) with the Banks Intercooler kit? I am also now intrigued with the Doug Intake Manifold you mentioned. I will be learning more about this before installing Bulletproof's EGR cooler. Perhaps I won't need to do that if I utilize Doug's Manifold. Thanks for the scoop!!

-
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:48 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P. Strickland View Post
Thanks Jonny and Powerhouse for the replies. Jonny, why did you remove the Banks IC if it did help a bit with towing? Part of why I want to replace the stock IC is because of the help with towing AND the issues of separation of the side 'tank' from the cooler due to flimsy-cheesy design. The local mechanic at Ford said he had replaced a few bone-stock trucks' intercoolers when the intercoolers divorced their side tanks due to this weak design. And, you saw no difference in power (up or down) with the Banks Intercooler kit? I am also now intrigued with the Doug Intake Manifold you mentioned. I will be learning more about this before installing Bulletproof's EGR cooler. Perhaps I won't need to do that if I utilize Doug's Manifold. Thanks for the scoop!!

-

I removed it because my dealership was giving me hell about it. I now am out of warranty so i may reinstall it or sell it; havent decided yet. Not a bit difference in power but I run 38 inch tall tires too. Doug ported manifold is sweet. If I wasnt so cheap I would buy it. I plan on deleteing my egr cooler within the next few weeks. I probably am just going to make my own kit. I would definetely get rid of the egr stuff, unless you are in Cali where they do emisions and visual inspections then I would keep it. I would also check with doug (PSDPLAYER) if the remote oil filter would work with his manifold.

TT

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Landshark

Well, tomorrow Bulletproof Diesel goes to work. Thank you all who replied to my questions by post or email. I have changed to plan for the better after some excellent input. An astute and experienced group you guys are!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode