Head Gasket advice - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Head Gasket advice

New here, thanks. Just bought my first diesel not long ago. 2003 F350 Dually. 103 K on the engine. Whoever owned it before me had installed the Banks 6 gun with the Speed loader chip, exhaust, etc. Last weekend driving down the highway and heard some knocking noise and noticed black smoke. Pulled over, made some calls, and ended up dropping it off at the mechanic shop. Sure enough #8 fuel injector issues. While at shop, they also noticed white smoke. Right now they have the cab lifted off the frame, and have it stripped down. They are currently having the heads checked for cracks, etc. After much research, I am finding these 6.0's are known to have head gasket issues. Now that I am into it this far, what brands of heads and gaskets should I be looking to get to handle the Banks 6 gun and future abuse? I've found a kit that has ARP head bolts, Black Onyx head gaskets, Sinister EGR delete, Ford factory oil cooler kit and screen, and ford gaskets. They say the Ford factory oil cooler is an upgrade with thicker internal fins and the screen is no longer cloth, now stainless steel. I have emissions here in Colorado, so my ERG delete needs to be the upgraded one that looks real but is sealed, if this is a good way to go as far as eliminating the EGR. What benefits are there with getting away from the EGR? While in there, I thought I best go ahead and replace all the injectors. Any brand better then the others, or not? And if I missed something I should be doing while truck torn down this far, please throw your opinions my way. The mechanic working on it said for me to get whatever I want for him to put back on while it is being done, so I want to take advantage and do it right. Truck will pull a 29 foot camper a few times in the summer, over Colorado mountains. Other then that, it is more for sport and street. I'd like to run it on a track just to see what the banks is all about, but not looking in going extreme into the sport. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:51 AM
PSN Local

Re: Head Gasket advice

get rid of the Banks, go SCT w/Innovative custom tunes then you will know what your truck can really do. make sure the heads are not cracked and have them milled so they are perfectly flat other wise your wasting your time. they will probably need a valve job too. yes on the Sinister kit, does your emissions visually check or do they do the smoke test? Ford reman injectors are the best you can buy. nobody has any brand new ones at this time. I just took a Banks 6 gun off a 03 and the turbo was shot,(exhaust wheel was melted) so you should have them check that also.

04 CCSB Lariat, 4x4, studded & deleted(Elite), Garrett stage 1(DI), Innovative tunes, DS coolant filter, FS2500, Banks intercooled, 17x9 MT classicII's, Nittos, trans rebuilt by me, B&M shift kit, billet converter...sold

04 F450 RC studded & deleted(FCDP), alum. wheels, pulls the gn.

05 build in progress...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:57 AM
PSN Newb

I would get rid of the Banks Six Gun and get an SCT. The Banks does not tune the transmission.

The ARP studs with black Onyx will work fine for the HG.

If you have emissions the Sinister EGR delete may not pass as it fully removed the EGR cooler and blocks the valve. This could be noticed if the inspector was knowledgable about the 6.0

You can just have the ends of the existing egr welded shut with a plug if you have to pass emissions. This could set a code, so have the tuner that makes your SCT tune turn off the EGR codes and you will be set.

If you want to keep it emissions legal there is an upgraded EGR cooler made by Bulletproof.

2005 F250 CCSB 4x4
6" Lift 35" BFG KM2

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 PM
It wasn't me

As long as the heads are flat and studs are properly installed factory or Victor Reinz gaskets will hold whatever you throw at them. You may also look into having hardened valve seats installed.

The factory oil coolers are the sae as they have always been. Make sure you install a coolant filter and keep up on your coolant maintanence or you will be buyin another oil cooler in 25K.

I also woul recommend a upgraded EGR cooler over a delete. Eventually the emissions testing facilities will be able to read EGR flow. If you were to replace your Banks I would recommend a SCT which will turn off your EGR but keep the system intact for emissions testing.

Newman
A few Fords
Special Thanks to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode