Turbo boot blew off, now a question. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Turbo boot blew off, now a question.

Ok, so I have a Banks IC system and yesterday I got a new tune and it is night and day different between my old tune and this one. ANyways so I'm drving around and my turbo boot pops off. As any of you know its a PITA to get this boot back on. So I was going to buy the dieselsite one but at 131.00 that seems ridicoulous to me. I went and bought a foot of 2.5" Silcone Hose from the local Cat Dealership and percedec to cut a new length of hose. The existing Banks boot is 2.5" and I made the new one initally about 3.25" I did some trimming to ensure a better fit and everything appaeared to line up. I took the truck for a test drive and hammered down up a big hill and everything stayed in place. I know i cranked down on the trubo clamp for sure but I'm sure I didnt do so on the top one. While drving to work today the truck didnt seem quite up to par with how it was acting before. I dont have any baseline boost number to compare it do as my boot gague is currenty not functing, but it just didnt seem quite right. I was thinking I may have a boost leak but the truck does not sound any different. For instance I did start to notice a higher pitched turbo whine in the truck before the boot blew off. Once I put the new one on, that went away, so I'm assuming it was from the actual turbo boot since it apparently was close to letting go. I'm going to have a looksee after work today at the trubo and see if anything as shifted and then tighten the crap out of the clamps and see if I'm just not making a good seal. On the side, anyone with those diesel site clamps, how are they working out for ya?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Proud Sponsor

Re: Turbo boot blew off, now a question.

FWIW, you can overtighten the clamps too, they have a torque spec, cant remember what it is off hand, but cranking down on it inst a good idea.

Adam Brannan
Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well I I would say I have not cranked down any harder than before when I put them on. The only differance is that I'm thinking the truck is not quite as powerful as before. This might be a knee jerk reaction since I just blew the boot off and I want to take it easy....or it is infact that I have a leak somwhere. As far as I know i do not hear said leak and I have been going up some big hills at decent speeds.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 05:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciulli View Post
Ok, so I have a Banks IC system and yesterday I got a new tune and it is night and day different between my old tune and this one. ANyways so I'm drving around and my turbo boot pops off. As any of you know its a PITA to get this boot back on. So I was going to buy the dieselsite one but at 131.00 that seems ridicoulous to me. I went and bought a foot of 2.5" Silcone Hose from the local Cat Dealership and percedec to cut a new length of hose. The existing Banks boot is 2.5" and I made the new one initally about 3.25" I did some trimming to ensure a better fit and everything appaeared to line up. I took the truck for a test drive and hammered down up a big hill and everything stayed in place. I know i cranked down on the trubo clamp for sure but I'm sure I didnt do so on the top one. While drving to work today the truck didnt seem quite up to par with how it was acting before. I dont have any baseline boost number to compare it do as my boot gague is currenty not functing, but it just didnt seem quite right. I was thinking I may have a boost leak but the truck does not sound any different. For instance I did start to notice a higher pitched turbo whine in the truck before the boot blew off. Once I put the new one on, that went away, so I'm assuming it was from the actual turbo boot since it apparently was close to letting go. I'm going to have a looksee after work today at the trubo and see if anything as shifted and then tighten the crap out of the clamps and see if I'm just not making a good seal. On the side, anyone with those diesel site clamps, how are they working out for ya?
We put a full set of dieselsites on my friends 04 with elite tuning and removed the Bank's boots he had on there that came with the high ram intake. They have stayed in place at over 40psi. The dieselsite boots aren't silicone like the others, they are more like hydraulic hose and they won't expand. The cummins guys use the same style of boot, i had a set on my cummins and was over 70psi. You pay for what you get if you never want to worry about boots blowing off again buy dieselsites

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode