Shady Tree Mechanics.... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
WFO 4life

Shady Tree Mechanics....

I am going to take a week off of taking care of my customers for a little vacation here coming up. I want to at this time replace my own injectors.

I am somewhat wrench worthy and can follow directions pretty well. Is this advised or should I have them done for me.

What am I looking at for install costs if I do have it done for me. The quotes that I have searched for on here are all over the place. I do not have a diesel mech around me, just the ford dealership. Hence the reason I would like to take the time and do it my self.

Aside from the cost of injectors what else should be replaced or has to be when I am doing this, if I CAN even do this. Thanks

2011 F-350 Lariat
Silver on Black Chrome Edition
Roll-n-Lock......So far.

2006 King Ranch F-350
SOLD
"Sooner or later, you run out of SOMEBODY ELSES money."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 AM
i like to party

Re: Shady Tree Mechanics....

If youre somewhat wrench worthy and can follow directions, i see no problem with you completing the work. Just write things down and layout the parts as they came out of the truck on a big piece of cardboard... all this stuff really isnt that hard, just time comsuming. Im not one to talk as i wouldnt tackle an injector job myself.. but an egr delete, sure why not
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:23 AM
PSN Veteran

why not, just plan on more time then you expect. just make sure you get a long matco t40 bit and a good torque wrench and clean the oil out of the hold down in the head to make sure you get it good and tight. torque injectors to 28 ft-lb, oil rails to 10 ft-lb, stand pipes to 60 ft-lb and make sure the rest of the bolts are tight for the valvecover and rest of things you will remove. use plenty of oil on the orings when sliding it into the head and a 19mm socket will pop the injector plug right out of the rocker box. 9mm socket works well to slide a new copper washer on the bottom of the injector

2006 F250 CCSB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thanks to FCDP and Innovative Diesel

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:28 AM
PSN Local

Your 6.0 is alot like my 7.3., in the respect that of you take it slow, own a torque wrench, or two, and you can follow directions, you'll do just fine. I leave the electronic stuff to the experts, for obvious reasons. Not talking basic stuff, like troubleshooting a GPR, or UVCH, but the real computer controlled stuff. And, I have circumvented some of that, with basic knowledge. Any mechanical stuff is pretty straight forward though. I've owned my 7.3 for 12 years now. I've never had to take it to a shop. Done all the work myself. I think you'll be fine. If not, you've got this forum to fall back on!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:28 AM
The Unseen Mod

Send a message via AIM to RescueF250

IF you havent already get the updated stand pipes as well. Sam pretty much covered everything you need to know. Passenger side oil rail is gonna be a slight pain. Also if you have a way to cap the ports on the degas bottle do so, moving that aside will help you access everything better. I can pull 8 injectors out with hand tools in about 1.5, but Ive done it many many times. Just take your time and keep everything in order the way they came out, also when removing the injector haraness from the rocker box careful with the metal clips they tend to fly off easily. If you have any questions while your going through and cant post pm me before hand, or before you start i'll give you my cell and i'll help you whatever way I can.

03 Rescue is Dead

08 Rescue - No Limit Fab, MPD, Rescue Diesel, Barder Turbo, Fuel Lab, H&S products.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
WFO 4life

Wow thats awsome guys. This is by far the best forum that I have evr been a part of. I will tell ya'll when I start and then if I run into any problems, you will be the first to know. I have had almost everything out of my truck at one point or another, doing the other mods. Just never took anything off the actual engine. Thanks. I will take lots of pics and post them in a write up. Now I have to start saving money from which my wife does not know about to buy the injectorsd that I want. This might take a little while. HAHA.

2011 F-350 Lariat
Roll-n-Lock......So far.

2006 King Ranch F-350
SOLD
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Still learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamW View Post
why not, just plan on more time then you expect. just make sure you get a long matco t40 bit and a good torque wrench and clean the oil out of the hold down in the head to make sure you get it good and tight. torque injectors to 28 ft-lb, oil rails to 10 ft-lb, stand pipes to 60 ft-lb and make sure the rest of the bolts are tight for the valvecover and rest of things you will remove. use plenty of oil on the orings when sliding it into the head and a 19mm socket will pop the injector plug right out of the rocker box. 9mm socket works well to slide a new copper washer on the bottom of the injector

I used the 6.0 bible also. It has good info on this and helped alot.

03 F250 King Ranch
SCT tuned by Eric @ Innovative, Exhaust, and Air Raid filter
EGR Deleted
Still to slow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 PM
PSN Newb

The oil rail stan pipe might be an odd size. either a10mm allen or a 12mm? Lube every o-ring including the nipples on the rail that go into the top of the injector. It would suck to accidentally cut an o-ring and either deal with hard starts or redo the work

Also, wake up with a lot of patience. I know I need it
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
WFO 4life

Sounds good.

2011 F-350 Lariat
Roll-n-Lock......So far.

2006 King Ranch F-350
SOLD
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 02:44 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrcummns View Post
The oil rail stan pipe might be an odd size. either a10mm allen or a 12mm?
mine was 3/8 in allen iirc

2006 F250 CCSB

thanks to FCDP and Innovative Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode