03 wnating turbo upgrade - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

03 wnating turbo upgrade

I have a buddy considering a turbo upgrade on his 03. He is considering the Garett as his stocker is starting to stick. He towes a 14k boat regularly and uses a EDGE for programing. I know the EDGE is not the best choice but he is dead set on having the ability to change programs on the fly so a tuner change is out of the question. the truck is otherwise stock with just a intake and exhaust. It will be getting a EGR delete soon.
Will the Garrett be to laggy with teh small amount of fuel? He is already complauining about the lag it has and does not want any more.
Has anyone towed heavy with this turbo? He goes to the Lak of the Ozarks regularly and has had EGT issues pulling the boat in the hills on the way.

Tony

02 Excursion CR conversion with a few go fast parts
The truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
should have built

FOR SALE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 03 wnating turbo upgrade

there are a few people on here running the garrett powermax on stock injectors, a few running with bigger and have put down some good numbers. he wont be able to get that turbo to run right with the edge system though. once you start changing around turbo and injector combos then you need a custom tune to get it to spool right.

2006 F250 CCSB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thanks to FCDP and Innovative Diesel
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Proud Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamW View Post
there are a few people on here running the garrett powermax on stock injectors, a few running with bigger and have put down some good numbers. he wont be able to get that turbo to run right with the edge system though. once you start changing around turbo and injector combos then you need a custom tune to get it to spool right.

Adam Brannan
Email

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I have tried telling him to go SCT but he will not leave the EDGE as switch on the fly is a must in his eyes.

Tony

02 Excursion CR conversion with a few go fast parts
The truck
should have built

FOR SALE
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
40 lug nuts

Sounds like he's stuck with the EDGE and a stock turbo.

BULLETPROOF DIESEL

Biofuels Technologies
1A Auto

2005 F-250
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Maroon truck guy

He is going to need custom tunes with the powermax. Both of my trucks with the powermax and stock sticks have a dead spot at about 45-55 mph. And another thing to think about if he does the EGR delete he may have to have custom tunes to turn off the code.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 PM
KEM Sales & Support

I would get the industrial injection hybrid and try and talk him into a dash daq or a sct touch that way he will get shift on the fly capabilities
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Lovin the Tuna

Cant PHP tune the edge? If so isnt that a win-win, then he could have the "edge" with custom tunes and get the better turbo, correct?

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Maroon truck guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickke View Post
I would get the industrial injection hybrid and try and talk him into a dash daq or a sct touch that way he will get shift on the fly capabilities
Dashdaq does not have shift on the fly capabilities. You have to stop and shut your truck off to load a tune. Cant say for sure about the SCT touch but im sure its the same way.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:26 PM
KEM Sales & Support

I thought you could switch them by the push of the button? Im sorry if I was wrong, thats just what I thought was the big adv of having those systems... I stand corrected

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode