Anyone have problems with a towing tune? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Anyone have problems with a towing tune?

I have an 06 F250 that I recently had the EGR deleted on.

When I had the truck tuned to get rid of the check engine light for the EGR, my tuner gave me a stock tune and a 50 hp towing tune.

The odd thing was, the stock tune felt slower than the truck felt with supposedly no tune on it. I don't know if the truck HAD a tune on it when I bought it, or if the tuner just gave me an ultar conservative tune, but the guy that did the EGR delete said it was making less boost than stock.

He told me these trucks top out at around 24 or 25 psi of boost and, per the stock gauge, it was not making over 20.

In any case, I put the 50 hp towing tune on and the thing FLEW with that on it. I think part of it may have had someting to do with the fact the shift programming was obviously changed too, but either way it had me concerned about blowing the head gaskets.

So, my question is, has anyone had any problems with their towing tunes? Someone I know told me the towing tune is all he had (from Superchips) and his heads started to lift a bit. I am just trying to figure out if I can run with this tune or if I really need to wait until I can afford to do studs and gaskets.

BTW, I use this truck for towing almost everyday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:58 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Anyone have problems with a towing tune?

When I asked for a tow tune, it was not strong enough for me, so I just use a "Extreme Street" tune for towing.
What are you using for a programmer? Superchips? Almost everyone who is on this, and many other forums use nothing but SCT custom tunes for their trucks.

2003 F-350 KingRanch 4x4
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yeah, I have an Xcal2 I was using for my Mustang but I needed the tune for the check engine light in kind of a pinch, so I am going to get another one later for my car.

So were you running those tunes on the factory head bolts?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 AM
I Just Break Stuff

EGR delete was money well spent. Hard to have coolant in your intake with no EGR system.....Thats what seemed to lift mine. Wasnt the power so much as the engine trying to compress water/steam. Cant flash boil your cooler either.

06 f250 cc Lariat
4 inch Turbo Back
EGR Delete by FCDP
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Full billet Tranny
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous
IPR Oil Cooler Relocation kit
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTStrikesBack View Post
Yeah, I have an Xcal2 I was using for my Mustang but I needed the tune for the check engine light in kind of a pinch, so I am going to get another one later for my car.

So were you running those tunes on the factory head bolts?
Yes.

2003 F-350 KingRanch 4x4
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 AM
harley master

Towing on extreme street!!?? Not a very good idea. That tune runs to hot to pull any kind of weight. I even had strict instructions to use the street tune for only up to 10k. Ex. street is for runnin empty, and playin.

06 ccsb-gone but not forgotten
00 rclb-a little of this and that....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Is the Extreme street more like 100hp or 150hp?

So far I am not seeing anyone having a problem on these 50-80 hp tunes, but I may still be too chicken to use it without studs.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 04:01 AM
blackbetty13

well my tow tunes on my 7.3l take for ever to shift. sometimes i wonder if hell will frezze over by the time they shift lmao.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Damnkids Motorsports

Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

A lot of guys tow on extreme street including myself, just watch your gauges. I don't tow heavy on it though. I use aggressive tow which is like a 70hp tune with EXCELLENT trans tuning (via Eric from Innovative) when I tow my 22' camper, but that's the only time I use that tune.

I cant see having any issues with a town tune as far as headgaskets go, but then again stock trucks have issues sometimes too...

DamnKids Motorsports

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4 Vegistroked
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08
Black smoke don't mean it's broke... it means your tuning sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Paypal can go fuk themselfs... Buy me a beer the next time we meet.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I want to bump this once to see if anyone else can at least comment on their tow tune experiences.

Also, it seems like my truck is suddenly getting worse fuel milage since I changed the oil. It might be in my head, but I changed the oil and about two days later I took a trip of about 140 miles (and I also put on my tow tune) and I was getting around 16.xx MPG according to the dash.

I took the tow tune off and the MPG was about the same. I did notice the boost was a bit higher at different rpms with the tow tune, but that doesn't explain similar MPG without it. I think the truck was getting between 18-19.xx on the interstate before the EGR delete and any tuning.

I will add this; the trip and mileage in the 1st paragraph was while towing a 16 foot double axle trailer with one VERY low tire. I mean it had about 8 psi and I am surprised it didn't fall apart. I don't think the mileage changed once I fixed the tire, but I just thought I'd mention the trailer 1st. (It was empty)

Finaly, since I had the EGR deleted, the turbo seems to like to blow the pipe off the pressure side. Any ideas where I can get a clamp I should use on this truck? I was thinking of just going back to the dealer, but I don't really care for that spring loaded clamp. I have some T-bolt clamps (no spring) That are the wrong size, but were ordered for my supercharger piping on my Mustang, but they are a little wider in the band than the stock clamps are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode