Heads Off, Machine work - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
rollin coal!

Heads Off, Machine work

matt (motoxracer) is doing studs on my truck here very soon and I have been calling a few different machine shops to get prices on getting the heads done. What has everyone been paying for all the machine work??

01 F350 CCLB 7.3 6 Speed with Luke clutch, 38R Turbo with Riffraff Billet Wheel, IH Bellowed up pipes, EBVP delete, hi flow outlet, Riffraff HPX, Riffraff intercooler boots, AFe Intake, Full Force 160cc single shots, Strictly Diesel RR fuel system, Hydra chip, 5.5" Fabtech lift, 18x10 Moto Metal 962's, 325/65/18 Cooper STT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 12:38 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Heads Off, Machine work

i paid 280. they took off .008". and cleaned them and checked for cracks.
clarence

2003 CC F350, ARP'S, HOMEMADE EGR DELETE, 4.5" ICON LIFT, MBRP, ZOODADED, NEW FUEL SYSTEM SOON, 05 FRONT END, AND A SLEW OF OTHER STUFF
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TUNED BY DJ, ERIC, AND CALE
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Sponsor

60$ cleaned them and shaved down .002"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
diesel and nothing else

Send a message via Yahoo to amarillo250

anybody know a shop around my location????

06 F250 CCSB, still working on it

Thanks to FCDP and all the guys on here for their help.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 PM
PSN Local

My total machine shop bill was 2300....but that included checking out 2 sets of heads, assembling two good heads, new valves, springs checking for cracks and decking..... Now that I think about it that price also included hot tanking the block, boreing out one hole, a oversized piston and ring kit plus new bearings for the rods and mains and maybe some other stuff.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Lovin the Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prew32 View Post
matt (motoxracer) is doing studs on my truck here very soon and I have been calling a few different machine shops to get prices on getting the heads done. What has everyone been paying for all the machine work??
You sure you trust him?

I keed Matt (obviously) know's his 6leakers. So did you blow a gasket or doing it to be safe before you do?

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 PM
NHRDA Diesel TV Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmokey View Post
You sure you trust him?

I keed Matt (obviously) know's his 6leakers. So did you blow a gasket or doing it to be safe before you do?
This coming from the one who forgot turbo bolts and almost killed himself dropping his turbo on himself? Yeah.....

JK

'04 F350. Typical Mods with tuning by Tadd and Eric and Matt.
'06 VW Jetta TDI. Stock. 42mpg

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but Fords with big turbos excite me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenThree View Post
People think I like girls because guys worth my time are as easy to find as crew cab powerstrokes in the 11's.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Lovin the Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvin_her_stroker04 View Post
This coming from the one who forgot turbo bolts and almost killed himself dropping his turbo on himself? Yeah.....

JK
I didnt forget bolts, I accidently knocked the o-ring out of the pedestal when I was putting the turbo on. And touche on almost dropping the turbo on myself

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:30 AM
Plays with Motors

~$200-$250 for cleaning, magnafluxing, and surfacing if they check out ok.

2011 335i M-Sport
2000 F-250 7.3L ( Sold )
1966 Mustang Fastback

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:48 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prew32 View Post
Since you are asking for "Getting them done", and "All the machine work"...
I have had two different sets of heads done within two years...original set that were on the engine were no good...cracked all to hell, so the first expense was to find another good set. (Read: non-cracked)
$600.00 later, I found a set...then the machining began. New guides, hardened seats installed on all the exhaust seats, multi angle valve job, resurface, valves were back cut...ended up at close to $2000.00

Two years later, pull engine apart to do a bigger build up, and found that one of the heads were cracked again...the shop got as far as installing new brass liner guides into the other head, and when they went to do the valve job, the seats in the exhaust started to turn in the head...so...had to find another set of goo heads, (Read: non-cracked.)
$650.. + shipping later...I had another set redone...new brass liner guides, all valves back cut, multi angle valve job, resurfaced, beehive springs
Almost $1100.00 that time...and I supplied the springs, so that cost isn't in there either.

2003 F-350 KingRanch 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode