EGT, Fuel Pressure, Trans Gauge DIY? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

EGT, Fuel Pressure, Trans Gauge DIY?

Im getting ready to start building the PSD up a little. My first purchase will probably be AFE intake, and gauges. Im going to be buying a Trans gauge, fuel pressure gauge, and of course EGT gauge. Ive searched, but havent had any luck finding DIY's on installing these senders and probes. Does anybody have any in their back pocket?

I would think the installations would be fairly simple, however Ive been known to mess up a wet dream from time to time. lol.

Thanks guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 Lariat
GlowShift Tinted gauges, Recon Clear Cab Lights, Diamond Eye Duals, SRL Files, 2.5" rize leveling kit, F350 Rear Blocks, PHP Tuned FICM, Retro Solution 6K HID's, DieselSite Coolant Filter...

2011 Oxford White SuperCrew EcoBoost FX2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: EGT, Fuel Pressure, Trans Gauge DIY?

Gauges are fairly easy...

Just find a switched 12v power source behind the dash, I'm sure somebody knows an exact wire you could splice into, but I just checked using a meter and found a wire. I hooked the lighting up to the back of the light switch so they come on whenever my headlights are on. I ran the wires for the senders through the firewall where the clutch master cyl is supposed to be..

The trans temp should screw strait into the side of the trans in the pressure test port.

For fuel pressure I use a billet cap on top of my fuel filter that has a 1/8 npt tapped port, the pressure sender screws right in.

For EGT you will need to drill and tap the manifold.

I think your in bakersfield, correct? If you don't feel confident doing them yourself I would be willing to lend a hand...

2006 F250 CC LB FX4 Lariat
ARP studs, SCT X3 IDP & Gearhead tuned, S&B CAI, straight pipe, FASS 150/180, FCDP solid uppipe, Dieselsite coolant filter
2.5" BTS leveling kit, 35" Xtreme A/T's on XD Hoss 18's, N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas
Pioneer double din, JL components, 3 10" Pioneer subs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
PSN Veteran

fuel pressure gauge if your have a air dop or fass pump or a regulated return you can monitor fuel pressure from a port that is provided on these items if not then you will need this 6.0L Fuel Pressure Adapter it fits in a drain plug at your factory fuel bowl to monitor fuel pressure and is what im using and is a good product

EGT gauge you will drill and tap a 1/8 ntp into your driver side exhaust manifold you will be able to see from under the truck and install the probe there

the trans gauge you will install a temp sensor into the tranny by removing a bolt that is in the tranny and then re install the temp sensor you wont loose any oil from your tranny while doing this

installing gauges is a breeze the hardest part is actually doing the power wires for the gauges and tapping them into a wire that has power when the key is on

hope this information helps you

2011 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed FX4 King Ranch

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:10 PM
mmmm...beer....

Here is a writeup with pics on gauge install. They're installing Isspros in the writeup, but the basics are the same for any gauge.

x2 on the fuel pressure adaptor. You can put the sending unit just about wherever you want it and you get a schrader valve to easily test FP manually whenever you might need to.

Scott
06' F-250 Harley Davidson CC SB
Lifted 6", 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers, intake, exhaust, gauges, tunes by Eric, GoGo Stage 1, Power Max, Strictly RR, Ported Uppipes, Swamps 58v FICM w/Atlas 80, 5r by Elite.

04' Excursion
Stock

99' F-250 EC SB
Stockish
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

All these instructions and tips are useful, and they seem to be what I had expected. Which is a good thing.

06... Something about drilling into the manifold make me jittery. Im glad we have boost gauge factory plumbed! But I think I might have to hit you up on the offer. Maybe I can drive down there one saturday, and you help me knock 'er out. How long should three gauges take?

GlowShift Tinted gauges, Recon Clear Cab Lights, Diamond Eye Duals, SRL Files, 2.5" rize leveling kit, F350 Rear Blocks, PHP Tuned FICM, Retro Solution 6K HID's, DieselSite Coolant Filter...

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-sixoh View Post
All these instructions and tips are useful, and they seem to be what I had expected. Which is a good thing.

06... Something about drilling into the manifold make me jittery. Im glad we have boost gauge factory plumbed! But I think I might have to hit you up on the offer. Maybe I can drive down there one saturday, and you help me knock 'er out. How long should three gauges take?
I have now drilled and tapped 3 manifolds, it's shaky your first time but it's not that bad.

Gauges shouldn't take too long, couple hours at the most. Just running the wiring and splicing it all together gets time consuming. Hopefully we can get a weekend here that isn't 105 degrees out

ARP studs, SCT X3 IDP & Gearhead tuned, S&B CAI, straight pipe, FASS 150/180, FCDP solid uppipe, Dieselsite coolant filter
2.5" BTS leveling kit, 35" Xtreme A/T's on XD Hoss 18's, N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

A couple of hours isnt bad at all. What kinda beer do you drink?

You know, for the past month and a half for work, I have been in Nevada, and it has been pretty nice here. Its been in the 80's, with a breeze, I have had my trailer doors open all day long.

Anyways. It might be a few more weeks, but when I get them, I most defitnetly contact you. I dont think I can afford the autometer gauges, but I found a decent price on the glow shift gauges... any thoughts on these glow shifts?

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 06:06 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-sixoh View Post
A couple of hours isnt bad at all. What kinda beer do you drink?

You know, for the past month and a half for work, I have been in Nevada, and it has been pretty nice here. Its been in the 80's, with a breeze, I have had my trailer doors open all day long.

Anyways. It might be a few more weeks, but when I get them, I most defitnetly contact you. I dont think I can afford the autometer gauges, but I found a decent price on the glow shift gauges... any thoughts on these glow shifts?
I'm actually not much of a beer drinker, lol. I would honestly say you wouldn't have to owe me anything, I'm happy to help out...

What is your budget on gauges? I have never seen or tried glow shift but people on here don't think too highly of them, but that damn AM Fuel Pressure gauge is EXPENSIVE!!!

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 PM
PSN Local

what other good brands are there besides glow? at a reasonable price? im also lookign into getting gauges eventually. what do dealers think about gauges?

sucperchips flashpaq, banks ram air, 4"mbrp straight piped rcd egr delete leveled
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 06:23 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintimemoto View Post
what other good brands are there besides glow? at a reasonable price? im also lookign into getting gauges eventually. what do dealers think about gauges?
I just did a quick search online and the isspro gauges are a slight bit cheaper than the autometer ones. But they are still well over $100 a gauge. What do you consider a reasonable price?

My dealer said nothing about my gauges...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode