Help Truck Randomly won't start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Help Truck Randomly won't start

So here is the deal. I'm new to diesels and have had this truck for about 3 months. I recently added the MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, gauges, and the sct x3 with innovatives xtreme street tune. I've had all of this done for about a week and it was starting and running perfectly. It turns over like a sob but just won't fire. It ran perfectly yesterday. I've tried returning the ECM or whatever it is back to stock with the sct x3 and it still would not start. Tried it on innovatives street tune instead of the extreme street and got the same result. Removed the fuel filter from on top of the engine and the bowl is full of fuel and filter doesn't appear that dirty. Sprayed the air filter with some starting fluid and it will fire up for a second, but will not keep running. I did put in about 16oz of walmart ashless 2cycle oil with my most recent fill up last Friday

Let me know if any of you guys want more details. Also, if interested you can pm me your phone number or I am willing to pm mine to you if you are willing to help since it is a lot easier for me to talk than type. I'm up a creek without a damn paddle and need advice badly

Truck is a 2005 F-250
w/ 6.0

Coolant and oil look good. No indication of any headgasket issues, but then again I'm a rookie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:41 AM
id: 5520

Re: Help Truck Randomly won't start

You are aware that you have two fuel filters correct?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Haven't messed with the other one didn't want to have to drain the lines with the water seperator plug and make a mess quite yet. It seemed like when I removed the top one that fuel filled the bowl when I took that filter out to look at it. Should I try turning the key on with the one on top of the engine removed real quick to confirm fuel pump is working? I hear noises that make me think the fuel pump is working but then again there are a lot of sounds when you first turn the key on so then again maybe the fuel pump isn't working.

I plan on changing the fuel filters in about 6,000 miles when I change my oil again since I just put Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme in this last weekend and it seemed to lose some power compared to whatever oil was in it before and I thought that was kind of weird.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 AM
id: 5520

How many miles on your truck? You should be able to hear the pump when you turn the key on.. Anything leaking that you know of?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:55 AM
PSN Local

i sent a pm

03 f-250 6.0 tec3 programming.. Running all of power hungry performance handy work, plus i work there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 01:48 AM
Proud Sponsor

is it building oil pressure on the dash while cranking?

Adam Brannan
Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:19 AM
I Just Break Stuff

Thats the first thing that came to my mind too. Does it crank just fine first thing in the morning? Then won't start when it's hot.

06 f250 cc Lariat
4 inch Turbo Back
EGR Delete by FCDP
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Full billet Tranny
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous
IPR Oil Cooler Relocation kit
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I talked to Georgia Diesel for about an hour on the phone and first off I want to let everyone know, that doesn't already, that he is one heck of a man and I really appreciate his help.

I'm going to try starting it in the morning to see if that helps since my oil will be thicker. If it is the HPOP will my oil pressure on my dash not come up while cranking? Is it my understanding that the HPOP controls the injectors somehow and there is still a standard low pressure oil pump doing other duties? Brad filled me with so much information its hard to recall everything.

Could the lower weight oil I just put in have something to do with this issue since I'm sure it had what Ford recommended before? Also, do they not have to remove the heads to get to the HPOP because it sounded like I could hold off on the studs for now if it is indeed my hpop since that is a whole different can of worms.

Money is tight right now with a baby on the way in Sept and no Maternity for the wife and 3 months with one income so the less I spend now the better, but then again there will be no half a$$ing and if it means 10 hours ($800) of labor saved down the road then I'm going to do the things like Brad recommended and do the egr delete and a heat eaxchanger replacement in the oil cooler.

Adam, if it is the HPOP I'll be talking to you shortly about one of your EGR Delete Kits since it sounds like I should have it changed then and save some labor costs down the road.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Anybody close to John Day, OR or in the state for that matter that does head studs, knows these 6.0's in and out, and doesn't rape someone like ford when it comes time for my headstuds or I have other issues with this thing. I hear some places charge up to 22 hours labor to do head gaskets. If you are in the state of Oregon shoot me a PM of what hours you charge to do the head gaskets so I have an idea of where I'll be taking my truck in the future when it actually drives and I've got the $$$ saved up.

Heck I'm not even sure if I'm going to be able to get this problem resolved correctly in the podunk county I live in.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:28 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RaptorCV View Post
I talked to Georgia Diesel for about an hour on the phone and first off I want to let everyone know, that doesn't already, that he is one heck of a man and I really appreciate his help.

I'm going to try starting it in the morning to see if that helps since my oil will be thicker. If it is the HPOP will my oil pressure on my dash not come up while cranking? Is it my understanding that the HPOP controls the injectors somehow and there is still a standard low pressure oil pump doing other duties? Brad filled me with so much information its hard to recall everything.

Could the lower weight oil I just put in have something to do with this issue since I'm sure it had what Ford recommended before? Also, do they not have to remove the heads to get to the HPOP because it sounded like I could hold off on the studs for now if it is indeed my hpop since that is a whole different can of worms.

Money is tight right now with a baby on the way in Sept and no Maternity for the wife and 3 months with one income so the less I spend now the better, but then again there will be no half a$ and if it means 10 hours ($800) of labor saved down the road then I'm going to do the things like Brad recommended and do the egr delete and a heat eaxchanger replacement in the oil cooler.

Adam, if it is the HPOP I'll be talking to you shortly about one of your EGR Delete Kits since it sounds like I should have it changed then and save some labor costs down the road.
no heads dont come off for hpop exchange....but if you do end up with hpop issues i would go ahead and delete the egr,and change the lower end of the oil cooler while i wa there.....thats just less stuff to do later down the road....its alopt easier to do all that while she is opened up than to take it apart again...you have my number now....call if i can help you anymore...keep us poasted on what you find out....like i told you its hard to diagnose one of these things on the phone but i can help lead you in the right direction of what stuuf to look for take care and call if you have any concerns.......all these guys on here are great and they can fix you right up...might even help find someone in your area that can look at it for you

03 f-250 6.0 tec3 programming.. Running all of power hungry performance handy work, plus i work there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode