6.0 regulated return? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
<--before leveler & block

6.0 regulated return?

Dad has an 03 6.0 woth 52k on it that has had one injector go bad so far and at the time, dad just replaced them all with the stock ford injectors cuz he figured if 1 went the rest weren't far behind. Regulated return fuel systems is raved about for the 7.3's.

My question is, does a regulated return help a 6.0 much? Dad isn't much into getting big power out of his 6.0 but would like to make it more reliable even though it really hasn't been bad at all so far. Would 05 and up heads and intake manifold help any? I know egr delete is a good thing. Does a more free flowing exhaust help? Any small injectors that are more reliable than fords?

His truck is completely stock all the way down to the original tires with 52k miles on them. Truck is an automatic crew cab shortbed 4x4

Thanks

2000 7.3 F-250 4x4 CC/SB Lariat 6-speed, 2.5" leveler and F350 block, Swamps 200/30% injectors, Swamps tunes, GTP-38R, Valair: kevlar/ceramic clutch, 4inch exhaust, AFE stage 2,
DFA-regulated return, pre-pump mods, Isspro boost and pyro, scan gauge, ~420hp and 836tq
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:29 AM
<-MONEY PITT!!

Re: 6.0 regulated return?

I say get a air dog II fuel pump it will replace the stocker on the frame drill the banjo bolts and call it a day the air dog filters fuel better and the high pressure pump will keep those rails full of fuel so u dont waste injectors!!!And i would do a egr delete first thing...

Now if you want to do it cheap just get a regulator spring and drill out the banjo bolts heres a link banjo bolts - Powerstroke Nation

I like the air dog idea because of the filtration and water separator i like mine so far...

2010 CCSB Afe Intake and dual exhaust
2006 CCLB F-250 Studs,Squeez,EGR delete,RR to AirDog II and a Airraid Intake & Sct Hot tunes *SOLD*
1963 Chevy Nova II 88mm turbo 408 LSX backhalved and tubbed 9.22 @ 145 @ 5000ft BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Cummins ECSB 5 spd,250s,edge comp 64 over a s475.. Work Truck
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
PSN Local

I wouldn't waste money on a reg return like said above AD 2 and drill out banjo bolts and be done wit it.

2001 2500 4x4
Built 12 valve
TNT Performance

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
<--before leveler & block

You guys lost me on the banjo bolts . Whjat are they? Some type of fuel regulator? where are they located?

2000 7.3 F-250 4x4 CC/SB Lariat 6-speed, 2.5" leveler and F350 block, Swamps 200/30% injectors, Swamps tunes, GTP-38R, Valair: kevlar/ceramic clutch, 4inch exhaust, AFE stage 2,
DFA-regulated return, pre-pump mods, Isspro boost and pyro, scan gauge, ~420hp and 836tq
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 PM
PSN Local

ok the banjo bolts are bolts that have holes on them allowing fuel to get to the heads. Drill them out and take out the spring inside them and they flow better. Also you do not need a regulated return kit or bigger lines until you go over 190-200cc injectors a simple upgraded fuel pump is all that is need up til that.

2005 6.0 CC SB 4x4
Special thanks to Doug at GoGoDiesel
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 05:15 AM
PSN Veteran

airdog 2 and fass pumps are internally regulated. no need to add a second.

2006 F250 CCSB

thanks to FCDP and Innovative Diesel
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

Unless you are of the opinion that regulating the pressure 10' before the demand is the wrong way to go. Using the AirDog/FASS regulator for system pressure places the regulator before ALL of the sources of pressure drop (hoses, fittings, fuel rails, injectors, etc)...rather than after. Not how I would do it...

While the AirDog and FASS are great products, they don't address the deadhead rails, small fuel lines, etc.

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

/

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Captain Negativity!

Send a message via AIM to PSDPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITPDiesel View Post
Unless you are of the opinion that regulating the pressure 10' before the demand is the wrong way to go. Using the AirDog/FASS regulator for system pressure places the regulator before ALL of the sources of pressure drop (hoses, fittings, fuel rails, injectors, etc)...rather than after. Not how I would do it...

While the AirDog and FASS are great products, they don't address the deadhead rails, small fuel lines, etc.
But a truck will still make about 700hp with the stock lines and stock banjo bolts in it... The rail goes past the injector. The orifice to the injector is .060 which is fed by a rail more than 4 times that. The pump will send enough fuel to drain even our big fuel tanks in anywhere from 30 mintes to around 12 minutes.

Last time I checked the pump sends the air through the return off the fass or the AD. Then the regulator up on the engine still returns fuel back to the motor as well which is around like 20 inches from the passenger head. We don't have a need for long lead injectors on 6.0L our head and injector works much better.

Come on now...

Email:

Phone:954-275-6801 Leave me a message. I can't always answer.
05 CC LB DRW Lariat 4x2 Dropped 3/6.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

Since all the conversations I've had with people that build 6.0L injectors must be meaningless, the warranty terms of some 6.0L injectors are certainly meaningless and of course...the experiences of my customer are meaningless...I'll just say this:

Whatever floats your boat.

Not in the mood to argue tonight.

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

/

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Captain Negativity!

Send a message via AIM to PSDPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITPDiesel View Post
Since all the conversations I've had with people that build 6.0L injectors must be meaningless, the warranty terms of some 6.0L injectors are certainly meaningless and of course...the experiences of my customer are meaningless...I'll just say this:

Whatever floats your boat.

Not in the mood to argue tonight.
Is it really a good idea to bring up the stellar reputation of injector builders reliability vs OEM.

Ford had to mark the factory filter to point out that people were too lazy to even change filters on time and give the dealer a way to hand them a "here's your sign stupid".

My boat floats very well. Back it up with some data and lets postpone the discussion when the mood fits.

Email:

Phone:954-275-6801 Leave me a message. I can't always answer.
05 CC LB DRW Lariat 4x2 Dropped 3/6.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode