block, head, and piston machining . going big - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
your mom

block, head, and piston machining . going big

so i did some major damage this time warped heads warped block . melted/cut piston. so i machined my heads .10 and there straight but the block i ended up cuting the deck .20 . is it runable how much can i cut off the top of my piston alread have bowl work done now im wondering if im gonna have problems with the piston smacking the head if i dont cut it down. can any one help. some one know whats the max i can cut of the deck and the heads and the pistons. how far can i push it.

f350 king ranch dubed. ol ranchero thanks to wayne
04 cc/lb 9inch lift C-6 built converter custom revs manual valve body r servo. powered by 12v cummins p-pump 4k gvs custom lasered dlv pump work, 5x16 sticks, singler charger for now, airdog150, its on meth lots of custom junk. hids road armor bumper and im truck broke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 f-150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: block, head, and piston machining . going big

Sounds to me like you've done way too much already unless you mean .010" and .020" instead of what you typed. Even then, you're really pushing it without having to do valve work since they won't be at the correct height any more.

2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost SuperCrew 6.5' 4x4
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Sponsor

Even if you mean 10 thou and 20 thou, you are going to have an issue. If I remember, the piston protrudes a MAX of 35 thou on a stock motor, your now at 65 thou. maybe Doug will chime in. Also if you melted pistons, are you sure your heads are good? With that much heat, I would guess cracks are very possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
PSN Veteran

0.035" is max piston height ABOVE the deck of the block.
If you resurfaced your heads, make sure the valve depth is still within the depth range. (They may hit the piston with too much removed from the head, as they are recessed into the heads.)
You can remove the same amount from your piston tops to aquire the proper piston height. You just have to assemble the bottom end first, and measure the top end up. Then remove the correct amount from the piston tops.

2003 F-350 KingRanch 4x4
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
your mom

yah i ment thousands and thats what iwas after. and yah the head was cracked on the cylender i melted. the pic of the piston for my profile pic is that piston. and with quik math i need to cut 0.030 of the top of the piston. how much will that afect it on handleing heat

04 cc/lb 9inch lift C-6 built converter custom revs manual valve body r servo. powered by 12v cummins p-pump 4k gvs custom lasered dlv pump work, 5x16 sticks, singler charger for now, airdog150, its on meth lots of custom junk. hids road armor bumper and im truck broke
06 f-150
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:51 AM
PSN Veteran

Ceramic coat them....problem solved.

2003 F-350 KingRanch 4x4
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:24 AM
<-- Got Air ?

mahle makes piston .020 shorter for this reason i was looking at the catolog the other day and there meant for people that had to mill the top of the block

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
your mom

yah i cut them already and i got the engine in and cab back on it be runing tomorrow so well see how it dose if it makes it 20000 miles ill be happy with it. try and not burn it up. thanks for the imput guys.

06 f-150

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode