Mild Build Questions/Suggestions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
WINNING

Mild Build Questions/Suggestions

I am getting ready to tear into my truck for a "mild" build and I am looking for suggestions as to what else to do while I'm in there. I currently have a II 62/70 turbo and I am getting a set of 190cc sticks from Casserly. I also have a new set of heads to put on as one of mine is cracked. I was wondering if there would be any benifit to having a mild port and polish job done while I have them at the machine shop. I was also looking into a Fluidampner as it would be a cakewalk to replace while the cab is up. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, however I do have limited income to spend on this as the wife is limiting me

I already have all the supporting mods, just looking for some more things to do while the cab is in the air. Thank you for your help guys and gals

-French

2002 VW Jetta TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 PM
<-MONEY PITT!!

Re: Mild Build Questions/Suggestions

Make sure who ever does the port job knows what they are doing!!!

2010 CCSB Afe Intake and dual exhaust
2006 CCLB F-250 Studs,Squeez,EGR delete,RR to AirDog II and a Airraid Intake & Sct Hot tunes *SOLD*
1963 Chevy Nova II 88mm turbo 408 LSX backhalved and tubbed 9.22 @ 145 @ 5000ft BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Cummins ECSB 5 spd,250s,edge comp 64 over a s475.. Work Truck
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
WINNING

They have done a couple of good running 6.0's around me. I trust their work. Thanks for looking out though.

-French

2002 VW Jetta TDI

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Lead-Don't follow.

If you're looking to save money, you can start by canning the Fluidampr. Haven't heard any good from it, and all the highest hp 6.0s are running stock balancers. That tells you something there.
Port and polished is nice for air flow, but even when done to it's limits, it'll gain roughly 25rwhp give or take a few. So you have to weigh the cost versus the gains. I had the option, but held off when doing my build.
As stated above me, always good to have a solid shop doing the work who has seen and worked on 6.0s before. Sounds like you have that covered, which is great.
Guessing that since you mentioned supporting mods, that studs are already in place. Make sure they are torqued to 270 pounds to hold strong with the extra fuel and (minimally) added heat you'll be pushing into the motor now.
Other areas- check both pumps, high pressure and low pressure oils. Make sure your electrical wiring on top of the motor is cleaned up and not wearing. Look into your FICM, possibly put on a tuned one while you have the motor down, won't hurt to throw on a mild tuned FICM from Innovative when it goes back on, to back up the 190s you're putting in.
I'm just thinking of simple, yet effective things that won't break the bank. Sounds like you have some good hard parts in place and now you'll have some new goodies to back them up.
Hope this helps some

-06 F250 6.0L-SOLD
“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.”
---2011 F250 6.7 CCSB---
IDP Tuning+Torq2 | AFE | Recon | AMP steps | RBP wheels | Nitto
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 PM
PETE ENGR PSD

FICM tune

KEVIN
2006 F-350 Kingranch 79,XXX

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
WINNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TWO50Diesel View Post
If you're looking to save money, you can start by canning the Fluidampr. Haven't heard any good from it, and all the highest hp 6.0s are running stock balancers. That tells you something there.
Port and polished is nice for air flow, but even when done to it's limits, it'll gain roughly 25rwhp give or take a few. So you have to weigh the cost versus the gains. I had the option, but held off when doing my build.
As stated above me, always good to have a solid shop doing the work who has seen and worked on 6.0s before. Sounds like you have that covered, which is great.
Guessing that since you mentioned supporting mods, that studs are already in place. Make sure they are torqued to 270 pounds to hold strong with the extra fuel and (minimally) added heat you'll be pushing into the motor now.
Other areas- check both pumps, high pressure and low pressure oils. Make sure your electrical wiring on top of the motor is cleaned up and not wearing. Look into your FICM, possibly put on a tuned one while you have the motor down, won't hurt to throw on a mild tuned FICM from Innovative when it goes back on, to back up the 190s you're putting in.
I'm just thinking of simple, yet effective things that won't break the bank. Sounds like you have some good hard parts in place and now you'll have some new goodies to back them up.
Hope this helps some
Thanks for the advice. Forgot to mention that I already have a moderate tuned FICM on the truck. However I am planning on modding it to put out 58V. Also, what about an oil cooler rebuild while I'm in there?

-French

2002 VW Jetta TDI
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 PM
PETE ENGR PSD

Deff an oil cooler rebuild. Would suck to tear it apart twice.

KEVIN

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 PM
It wasn't me

WHy not upgrade the oil cooler while our in there? I'm seriously thinking of this

Newman
A few Fords
Special Thanks to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
WINNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadinginaz View Post
WHy not upgrade the oil cooler while our in there? I'm seriously thinking of this

I would love to get something like that, but the wife is already upset that I bought the injectors and turbo Looks like a really cool kit.

-French

2002 VW Jetta TDI
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 PM
PETE ENGR PSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadinginaz View Post
2 grand its steep

KEVIN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode