Is this good or bad? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Is this good or bad?

So I have this 2006 F350 4x4 CC with the 6.0 in it and I am saving the money to get my SCT X3 with IDP tunes on it....so do not bash me for what I am about to post (please).

All I have done thus far is MBRP Turbo back 5" no kitty cat...still have stock everything else and am on 35.4 inch tires on 20" rims.

Wanting to see what these tuners do to these trucks, I borrowed my buddies Superchip Cortex and put in the PERF tune (latest update).....besides the seat of the pants difference, the black smoke, the improved shift points...from a dead stop (no boost) I am hitting a consistent 0-60 of 6.63 seconds. If I try and launch with boost, the tires will not hook and the engine seems to hit fuel cut (or something) and my times suck azz.

While that seems pretty damn fast for a big ole truck, how does that compare to other 6.0s out there? Would adding a different filter box help or hurt?

I am sure that my IDP tunes will be even better and I cannot wait but I am impatient so I tried the Cortex to see....and yep I am sold...I want my tuner BADLY now!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:46 AM
I Just Break Stuff

Re: Is this good or bad?

Stock everything. ....... Save money by not buying an intake. Use said saved money for something that will actually do something for your truck. Say........ probably some gauges, egr delete, studs ect .... I can easily peg 1600-1700 deg running IDP tune on my truck. You won't be disapointed in the difference between a cortex and a custom tune on an SCT. Good luck with it.

06 f250 cc Lariat
4 inch Turbo Back
EGR Delete by FCDP
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Full billet Tranny
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous
IPR Oil Cooler Relocation kit

Last edited by irontx25; 03-28-2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot and didn't read the whole post
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:13 AM
<-MONEY PITT!!

And at the track are you launching in 4x4?

2010 CCSB Afe Intake and dual exhaust
2006 CCLB F-250 Studs,Squeez,EGR delete,RR to AirDog II and a Airraid Intake & Sct Hot tunes *SOLD*
1963 Chevy Nova II 88mm turbo 408 LSX backhalved and tubbed 9.22 @ 145 @ 5000ft BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Cummins ECSB 5 spd,250s,edge comp 64 over a s475.. Work Truck

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

no, launching in 4x2

As for studs, et all.....I am at 29,000 miles and under warranty....kind of hard to justify tearing down right now
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:22 AM
id: 5520

Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
So I have this 2006 F350 4x4 CC with the 6.0 in it and I am saving the money to get my SCT X3 with IDP tunes on it....so do not bash me for what I am about to post (please).

All I have done thus far is MBRP Turbo back 5" no kitty cat...still have stock everything else and am on 35.4 inch tires on 20" rims.

Wanting to see what these tuners do to these trucks, I borrowed my buddies Superchip Cortex and put in the PERF tune (latest update).....besides the seat of the pants difference, the black smoke, the improved shift points...from a dead stop (no boost) I am hitting a consistent 0-60 of 6.63 seconds. If I try and launch with boost, the tires will not hook and the engine seems to hit fuel cut (or something) and my times suck azz.

While that seems pretty damn fast for a big ole truck, how does that compare to other 6.0s out there? Would adding a different filter box help or hurt?

I am sure that my IDP tunes will be even better and I cannot wait but I am impatient so I tried the Cortex to see....and yep I am sold...I want my tuner BADLY now!

Thanks
The Superchip thing is like mentioning the plague on this site as you know. I have been useing them for years without an issue. If your not useing the same product the majority is, your doing the wrong thing. I have found them to be "safe" power in my trucks. SCT and others may be better I really don't know. I do read threads that include many trucks that "puke" and have other problems useing different tuning. But from what I read, It is more than likely the operator causing there own problems. All I can say is I don't have any issues and never have in my last four trucks due to my chip. Just because people post and put down a product doesn't mean much to me. I really couldn't care less what product anyone uses in there truck. Chip,gauges,exhaust is all you really need. The stock intake is perfect. I changed mine and I find no real advantage to doing so.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:24 AM
<-MONEY PITT!!

Try launching in 4x4 at about 2200 Rpms or so!! Then see what happens.
Do u have the extended plan or just the 5 year 100,000 My truck is a 2006 and its out next year..Not that i really ever used it And u will be much happier with custom tunes.

2010 CCSB Afe Intake and dual exhaust
2006 CCLB F-250 Studs,Squeez,EGR delete,RR to AirDog II and a Airraid Intake & Sct Hot tunes *SOLD*
1963 Chevy Nova II 88mm turbo 408 LSX backhalved and tubbed 9.22 @ 145 @ 5000ft BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Cummins ECSB 5 spd,250s,edge comp 64 over a s475.. Work Truck
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:32 AM
I Just Break Stuff

Hmmmmmmm. I must have misunderstood the OPs point. Wasn't under the impression that Safe was a concern. We where all SAFE as long as we left it stock and was still under warranty. I thought it was about comparison. If that is indeed it, then to answer the question, the SCT will make a cortex look like a waste of money, wich IMO, it is.

06 f250 cc Lariat
4 inch Turbo Back
EGR Delete by FCDP
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Full billet Tranny
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:37 AM
I Just Break Stuff

And on a side note. I did change my intake to afe, not for any performance gains, just because the stocker is such a PITA to change. It was worth a couple of bills to keep me from killing myself changing the filter.

06 f250 cc Lariat
4 inch Turbo Back
EGR Delete by FCDP
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Full billet Tranny
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I am not saying safe is a concern...I am saying I am not going to stud it just yet....no reason too as it is still under the 100K warranty.

I AM buying the SCT, and Eric will be doing my tunes. I have already spoken with Ted, just have to get the cash for it.

I used the Cortex to see what all the fuss was about....I have owned this truck for all of 3 months...I did not keep the Cortex, I only tried it to see what it was like to have more power than stock.

My real question was, is 6.63 seconds 0-60 fast or slow with what has been done to the truck?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 AM
I Just Break Stuff

If your going off what the cortex told you while data logging, I wouldn't trust it. I really can't remember what mine was. That don't sound too bad though considering. I use to have a flashpaq, for a couple of weeks when I first got my 6.0. Did all the datalogging stuff it had. Real world results at a track are way different then what it told me. That was just my experience. I wouldn't do studs till they pop that's for sure. Don't blame you there.

06 f250 cc Lariat
4 inch Turbo Back
EGR Delete by FCDP
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Full billet Tranny
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode