Scrubbing Help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Scrubbing Help

I bought an 04 F350 Saturday, it has a lift I’m guessing 4 or 6 inch with 37 12.59 20. The tires scrub horribly on the front leaf spring When turning left or right in forward as well as backing up. I’m looking to drop down to a 35 for better drivability as well as towing purposes. Will this eliminate my scrubbing as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated, powerstroke new by here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Here’s a pic, not sure if it will help or not
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9E67560C-D5ED-4B4C-934C-57229FA5AAFB_1574738851286.jpeg (1.66 MB, 8 views)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Scrubbing Help

Are you certain they're rubbing on the leaf springs and not on the plastic fender liner? If they are only hitting the plastic, you can drill a small hole and use zip ties or 550 cord to hold it back so they no longer rub. If, however, they are actually hitting the springs, you only have a couple options. You can go to a narrower tire, a smaller diameter tire, a spacer to move your whole wheel/tire assembly outward, or switch to a different offset wheel. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion I didn't think of.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Here’s where they’re scrubbing on the springs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BE88A85F-913E-4630-A578-CEB95BE025A3_1574780903136.jpg (6.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 7857B7B4-03EF-4A69-AB1E-B11D74A54F3E_1574780928871.jpg (5.0 KB, 4 views)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 04:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Scrubbing Help

Yup, definitely a leaf spring rub issue. lol I have about 5" of lift on mine, and I clear 295/75/18's which are about equivalent to 35's except for the width. Mine come out to 35.4" high and 11.6" wide, so yours would be an inch closer in one direction and half an inch in the other. Since it's an issue with the spring, no amount of lift is going to solve the problem...unless we're talking about different spring arch which is a whole other ball of wax. I would get under there and watch the tire as someone slowly turns the wheel. Have them stop right as the tire is about to make contact. Then, see if you can align a gap in the tire lugs with the spring and then have your helper turn the wheel more until it hits the stops. The idea is maybe you can measure how much of the lug overlaps the spring to see what you will need to prevent rubbing. I don't know what offset your wheel has, but that can have a lot to do with it too, so don't forget to check that as well. Then you can possibly tell if you just need to go to a narrower tire, or if you'll need a smaller and narrower tire, etc.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode