Turbos and altitude... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Turbos and altitude...

Hey all, new here. I love my 7.3 Excursion, but I need a truck, so I picked up a gorgeous 07 F250 FX4 CCSB with about 130k on it. Supposedly has a blown head gasket, and as a result I got it for $4000. Considering there is no way I will own a 6.0 without studding it, I jumped at it.

So I'm gonna pull off the cab and stud it, new oil cooler, coolant filter, and a Sinister EGR cooler (emissions on diesels where I live). Then an exhaust and probably an SCT Livewire.
While I'm at it I might have a little fun with it and throw in some 155/30s and a turbo. I'm not looking to go nuts on power. I want it to stay reliable and not need a built transmission. I tow a couple times a month. Usually between 5000 and 8000 pounds, once in a great while 10,000.
I'm looking at a KC stage 1, stage 1.5, or a BD stage 1. I think any stage 2 will be too much.

Here is why: I live in Colorado Springs and I'm at 6000' elevation and sometimes go up higher. Lag is an accepted part of life here, but I don't need to go making it a whole lot worse on purpose.

So does anyone who lives at fairly high elevation have experience with a setup like what I am planning, and have any insight as to which turbo to go for? I called BD and KC, and it seemed like they obviously know their turbos, but don't really know too much about elevation and how it affects it. I'm looking for at least 400 rwhp on a tow tune, and a little more on a hot tune.
Will the stage 1 get me there? Will the 1.5 be significantly more laggy? KC or BD?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Turbos and altitude...

I don't have any experience with those, so I apologize in advance if this isn't helpful to you. I live at 3400 ft, travel very frequently to over 6000, and go up to about 9000 on occasion, so I experience some of what you do. First, I'll say that I think (and I emphasize think because I don't know for fact) that a VGT like the stock one would probably be best able to account for the variances in air density. As for power amount, there are cheaper ways to get a decent amount of power and still be reliable. I have a PHP FICM tuner which allows you to change between four different tunes, and the 100HP tune REALLY makes a difference. I was quite pleased with it! Also, a benefit of the FICM tune is significantly reduced turbo lag. It's night and day. So, I guess what I'm saying is you might want to look into the FICM tuner rather than all that. If the numbers are to be believed , I'm over 400 with just that....at least while running the Hercules tune. I change it down to the 40HP Atlas tune when I'm towing. Oh, and I have towed up to 12,000 with the Atlas and I didn't have a problem. EGT never went above 1150, and when it did get that high, it was only for brief stints while going uphill. Also, I do have a 4" downpipe going into a 5" so that helps EGT as well. Something to at least look into.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the answer, but I don't think we are quite on the same page. The truck will be custom tuned regardless of setup. I'm looking for more power than tuning alone will get. That 325 hp that our trucks make is at the flywheel. You can get close to 400 rwhp on a tune, but that's a race tune that isn't good for towing, and that is at sea level. I'm looking for 400 rwhp on a tow tune at 6000', and the ability to turn it up some when empty. So I need more air. What I am looking for is the right balance of enough turbo to flow the air I need but not too big creating tons of lag. I'll definatley be sticking with VGT.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 02:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Wow, totally missed on the rw part of rwhp! lol I'm definitely not the one to answer that. Not sure how many around her have built up engines like that, but there are a few. Hopefully they chime in.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode