Tuner advise among other things - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Tuner advise among other things

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and the world of diesel engines. I recently tore down my 04 6.0 due to head gaskets. Since it has high mileage and it's a work truck, I've taken it down to the block. Now I'm upgrading everything to stage 2 parts like bigger turbo, intake, performance heads, headers, exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold, 175-30 injectors, new pistons and rings along with bearings, new fuel system to start with. The new intake manifold has no egr valve, will I need to purchase a new wiring harness without the egr plug? Also what about computer issues with no emissions controls? I'm finding most of the information online to be confusing so any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:51 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Tuner advise among other things

Deletion of the EGR valve and the EGR cooler is a common thing, even on stock engines. Depending on what programming your computer has, it may or may not trigger a CEL (check engine light) and/or a code. Either way, you don't need a new harness. You can either run it without the EGR valve attached, or plug it in and zip-tie it somewhere....for example, my '04 I run it without and don't have a problem except a code for flow. my ex's '03 needs it plugged in and just sitting on the intake or it pops a CEL. Also, with a custom tune (which I'm sure you'll have based on your parts list) you can have them turn off any issues with the EGR.

BTW, what kind of power levels are you looking to do? I ask because you have a mixture of items that seem, in my mind anyway, to be geared towards different levels of power. The turbo and injectors pair up nicely with the proper tune, but performance heads and intake are for an even higher level of power. In fact, many people don't change out the heads and intake until they're really putting out power. Just saying you might want to talk to some of these guys who have powerful builds and see what they have done or not done. Might save you some money while not sacrificing reliability.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 02:18 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: Tuner advise among other things

welcome to the forum!

dat's right! no real "need" for a new wiring harness for EGR delete. You'll surely want some custom tuning, not only to handle the EGR codes, but to swap back and forth between towing and daily driving...but i guess that depends on what you're doing with it.

& with all that work, I would definitely weld a bung in the exhaust for an EGT probe and put a basic gauge by the brake controller or something. That could give you an idea of whether a particular tune is working out for you or not. that would suck to do all that work and then have those big injectors burn it up lol

and then there's the exhaust pipes (i didn't see any mention of it in the OP). sounds like you'd benefit big time from a 4" turbo-back kit. both w.r.t. exhaust temps AND flow restriction.

oh, also, not sure exactly how much fuel volume you need, but i'm pretty sure that 6.4 banjo bolts on the front of the heads flow better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode